Help with my plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there...
I just recently returned from a week away from my 75 gal tank(had a vacation trip) and when I returned, I saw the following:
-some plants still healthy. Mostly the Water Onion plants, however, there were brown spots on alot of leaves of my other plants. Does that mean they are dying? What should I do?
-around the base of one of my water onions, there was some sort of cloudy material. Cotton like... What should I do?

a little bit about my tank.
I have had it running for about 4 weeks now. There are only 10 small fish in it. I have a Eheim filter. I use durit gravel fertilizer balls. I placed them by the roots of each of the plants(could I have over fertilized?). The plants have certainly grown, however, there are brown leaves and I am concerned cause I don't want them to completely die and I don't want to add fish if the plants are an indication of a bad tank..

Also, I have yet to do any water changes. Should I do so immediately? I am going to check the Nitrate levels now. A week ago, the ammonia was at zero and the pH was at 8.4. Please help with anything you can...
THANKS!
Bondstreet

Yeah, I'd prolly do a 20% water change. However, you never told us how much light you have for the plants. This is probably the most critical factor in planted aquarium sucess. Is it the typical single strip light that comes with most hoods? How many watts, please?

you can get some types of low-light plants to grow with the single strip.

I seriously doubt you've over fertilized, or your fish would be belly-up due to nitrates, IMO.

Hi there...
Thanks for the info.
Ok, in regards to my lighting, I am using the strip light that came with the tank. However, I bought a Triton 40watt lamp to replace the one that came with the hood. Also, I JUST tested the Nitrates(almost zero), and the Ammonia(zero) and the pH still is fairly high at 8.4.
Question, with decent water like that, the 20% water change is still necessary? I ask cause I am worried about screwing up those conditions.( I am a beginner)
Also, some of the leaves on my plants are now clear. I am assuming those leaves are dead. Should I remove those? How about the browning leaves?
I really appreciate your help!
Bondstreet

OK, 40 watts on a 75 gallon tank. The general rule of thumb is at least 2 watts per gallon for live plants. you have .5 watts per gallon. This is not too good. Believe me I tried live plants without reasearching this stuff for years and never really succeeded. Some hoods can fit a double strip light instead of the single, you might see if that's an option for you. It WILL be better than what you have.

Otherwise, if you are determined to have a planted tank, you will need to either purchase a canopy with a bare minimum of 150 watts, preferably more like 250 -300 watts. Purchasing something like that is very pricey. Another option is to build your own canopy, and fit it with a light kit from an online dealer. I built mine (not really a handyman, so most people should be able to do it) but you need tools and a place to do kinda messy wood work. You mentioned being in NY, and I'm guessing an apartment, so this may not be your way to go. Totally up to you and your situation. See the DIY forum, I pretty much used fishfreaks design.

Going to be tought to grow plants, unless you get some direct sunlight also. Is the tank in front of a window where it can get direct sun?

Question, with decent water like that, the 20% water change is still necessary? I ask cause I am worried about screwing up those conditions.( I am a beginner)
Also, some of the leaves on my plants are now clear. I am assuming those leaves are dead. Should I remove those? How about the browning leaves?

You should do the 20%, I don't particularly like the ph level, better if you could get it down in the 7's, 8.4 is pretty high.

Yes, remove the dead/dying leaves. The ones you said are "clear"-- that's called "melting" in aquaplantspeak, indicates not good growing conditions, but ALSO happens when you bring in new plants, hopefully thats your situation. You did say you have some new growth, so all is not lost!

Thanks!
Will look into buying a better light fixture.
Also will do the water change...
Next question. Is it a bad time to add more fish? A small amount? What fish would be good at this point? So far, there are 10 small yellow tetras. Or should I wait till the plant situation is "healed"?
Also, when doing a water change, do I add fertilizer to the gravel as well? I have been using Durit fertilizer balls. Wasn't sure if I needed to add this everytime I do a water change.
Thanks for the info!

Just another question. I have so many nowadays...
On the leaves of some of my plants, there is a fairly dark brown film. I was doing a water change, touched the leaves and it rubs off easily. Does anyone know what this may be? Should I do anything? Be concerned?
Thanks!
Bondstreet

Next question. Is it a bad time to add more fish? A small amount?

Not yet, hold off, you are probabaly still cycling, wait another 1-2 weeks.
Also, when doing a water change, do I add fertilizer to the gravel as well?

No more fertilizer till you get more light, or till the plants look better.
On the leaves of some of my plants, there is a fairly dark brown film

Diatom algae, will go away on its own in a couple weeks, usually. Mostly happens with new tanks, and/or low light.

Got snails? you want to have some, but they should be Ramshorn or some other kind that eat algae, but not plants. ask at your LFS. You should have had some come in on your plants, at least usually.

That 8.4 ph still bothers me, what is the ph of your tap water?
In some post or another you said you were going to get some driftwood to put in the tank, have you done that?

NO CHEMICALS to lower ph, that will only cause more problems, just trust me on this.

around the base of one of my water onions, there was some sort of cloudy material. Cotton like... What should I do?

Not sure what this is but get it out during water change. (prolly somethin to do with decaying leaves, but I'd get it out)

Was wondering if there are any plants that I should look into getting for my tanks that are hardy for beginners/new tanks. Ones that don't require as much light until I am able to get/afford a better lighting system.
Also, is it necessary/good to purchase a CO2 thing(don't know what they are called) for a planted tank? I heard that they are good for these tanks....
What are they by the way?
THANKS!

Was wondering if there are any plants that I should look into getting for my tanks that are hardy for beginners/new tanks. Ones that don't require as much light until I am able to get/afford a better lighting system.
Also, is it necessary/good to purchase a CO2 thing(don't know what they are called) for a planted tank? I heard that they are good for these tanks....
THANKS!

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom