Help with photoperiod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have low light plants in a 29 gallon. I dose PPS-Pro and liquid carbon daily. I dose flourish comprehensive weekly for micros. I just upgraded from a single T8 light to a finnex planted+. I will be adding more plants in the medium light range soon. The tank will then be fairly heavily planted, including frogbit for floating.

My photo period when I had my T8 single fluorescent was 8 hours. I have not had any algae problems yet.

My question is, should I reduce my photoperiod initially now that I have a more powerful light?

Even moving up to medium light, your 8 hr photo period may be fine. You are adding more plant mass so watch your Glut and fert levels as you may have to increase both. Testing will tell. If you start to see algae, you can reduce lighting to six hours. Once algae is gone, up by 30 min for two weeks. Then by another 30 min until you see algae, then back down to previous period. That would be your sweet spot. OS.

Back
Top Bottom