Help with plant to grow on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TONEakaSHOW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Having issues getting any plant/moss to grow on my driftwood or rocks. Is there some type of trick? Do I need co2, because I don't run it at all?

Attachments

• DSC_1299.jpg
    DSC_1299.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 96
How deep is your tank and anything growing at all (even algae)?

You can do low-light tanks without CO2 for sure, just slower growth without the CO2 (as carbon feet). A low light tank might be 2 to 5ppm CO2 whereas CO2 injected aim for 30ppm so we get a lot of bang (but they go bad faster too if lights - ferts - CO2 not in sync).

What plants are you trying to grow? A lot of the plants that are great at gripping driftwood are pretty slow growing. I have submerged anubias that is growing great, but has taken 2 months to start grabbing hold. My buce has barely thought about it.

If they are rhizome plants, you can use aquarium-safe glue to adhere part of the rhizome to the driftwood. Other plants you can use glue or string. In either case, trim back the roots a little bit and it'll encourage new root growth.

I usually drill holes in the wood and stick a piece of rhizome or roots in there. Once they grow out some you’ll never see how it’s attached. I also look for wood that has natural pockets for this sort of stuff. Not always easy to find.

Thx everyone, I've tried various moss with no luck, only part of my driftwood is submerged I only try to plant on the dry portion

If the moss is grown in water then it is used to growing in water not air. If it is moss collected from the wilds on trees or other areas not under water, or purchased from vendors supplying from a forest, it would grow better in air than in water. It depends upon what it is used to.

To make the transition take either version and place it where it grew, either air or water, but just at the edge so it will need to grow up and out of the water line, or down into the water. It needs to have something to grow onto - say terrestrial moss to get to grow into the water, on say a chunk of bark dipped down into the water.

If you are using water moss, it needs to be placed similarly so that it will be under water with the bark going out of the water, and in time it will likely grow up and out onto the moist bark.

Also as a side note, some kinds of plants do not live out of the water environment and visa versa.
here is a bit on moss
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/leptodictyum-riparium

To attach moss to DW for under water, use aquatic moss.

You can use a little drop of glue 100% cyanoacrylate usually super glue gel. Leaves a white film, so be artful and hide the sticky part if you use that. Can add a bit of ground bark to the remaining sticky part to cover up.

100% Cotton thread in color coordinated variety, rinsed in water.

Wire twist ties, color coordinated zip ties, or rubber bands can work, remove when grown in.

All the actual part to grow into the wood and attach takes time.

Out of the water, similar thing but should use moss grown above ground to start with.

Thank you for your feedback I'm going to try it. Sticking was not the problem the moss would just die. I've tried aquatic moss in water and land moss out of water, plus both versions vice versa. I'm no green thumb lol, my pothos and bamboo grows no issues. The pothos did add snails to my tank but they were welcomed cleaners in my book.

This may be a silly question, but are you dechlorinating your water? I'd given tons of java moss cuttings to a friend that just kept dying on him which was strange considering we're on the same water supply line in the city. Turns out he was just using straight tap water without treating it where I treat all of mine with a single to double dose of Prime.

Does the moss feel dry or hard when it dies or soggy and limp? Skrape may be on to something, but if you're properly treating your water, you may be under watering the moss (if it's hard) or over saturating it (if it's soggy). Also, does it stay green? Go brown? Got any pics of the problem?

Even though, I can definitely grow aquatic moss, always seem to kill terrestrial ones. Not much humidity in CO, and in the house, AC or heater seem to dry it out even more. Even with a pebble tray under it.

Maybe some pics?

Back
Top Bottom