Help with planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Want to set up my 10g half moon tank into a planted tank! Not sure what to use for a filter it's a tall tank.

what kind of filter you get doesnt really affect the plants unless they dis/like high water flow. Just get a filter that matches the gallons you have if not a little bigger. remember, there is no such thing as being too clean :) a good hang off the back filter is the aquaclear 10 or if your planning to make it a shrimp tank, then get a sponge filter since shrimps love to pick food off the sponge.

Ok I have a 24w led light. Will I need something else and what would make for a nice Co2 injector?

whoa i don't use co2 injectors in my tank lol sorry and 24w is plenty for a 10g. thats considered med-high light for you, that can grow a lot of plants

Ok perfect! What would make for a good shrimp tank what do they eat?

shrimps eat anything that fish would but in smaller portions, they're meant to be bottom feeders :) buy a packet of algae wafers break one in half and that should be enough for a day or few

Ha nevermind I just realized that I already asked that question

i use a plant fertilizer substrate like eco-complete, other plant fertilizers are good too and you can find them in any local fish store

in my 20g high i currently have

6 neon tetra
1 gourami
3 otocinclus catfish
6 corydoras catfish
3 platy

no red cherry shrimp at the moment cuz my gourami eats them :( wasted a good 10 bucks figuring that out lol

With the fertilized substrate is it true that you can't have fish that dig?

what kind of fish are you talking about? fish that literally dig into the substrate or fish that sift through it to find food?

For example the fulval fertilized substrate says that not you have fish that disturbs the substrate

i don't know much fish that do that...but that's because i only keep small community fish. only if you plan on getting oscars or something should u worry. small bottom feeders like cories don't do much except turn over a few pieces to look for food. the reason its bad is because
a)it could kick up quite a lot of nutrients which will lead to algae blooms
b)it could kick up quite a bit of fish poop which can lead to an ammonia spike

Oh ok thanks so much for all this awesome info! So things like algae eaters are ok?

actually depends on the algae eaters, most plecos get rlly big and destroy plants and dig them up

I was thinking a cat fish or chinese algae eaters

chinese algae eaters are horrible cuz they dont eat algae at all >.> siamese algae eaters are a good replacement for it but they grow up to 6 inches long...and what kinda catfish are u thinking of? plecos are catfish too...

Back
Top Bottom