help with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undercutter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 16 gallon biocube with a built in 18 watt 10000k light fixture that I have running 10 hours a day

would that be considered low light set up?

trying to find a tall plant that I can put in the back

I have tried both anacharis and bacopa which I thought would do ok with this light but they start withering and losing leaves and polluting the water so I had to take them out

right now I have some anubias that have been there for over 2 months and do quite well, in fact two small ones in front are clipped from a big stem that was growing up

img_1474841_0_9db565aac4dc85c6714e09627c4e8892.jpg

I was thinking about adding a marimo moss ball but I'm not sure that my light can support it

when I set up my tank I mixed gravel with eco-complete so that I could put some plants in there

basically my question is is my light enough to grow any plants?

I would leave the light running about 12 hours a day. Also look into "flourite red", that stuff works great for substrate for plants!

Yes it is but you need to pick plants carefully. Few stem plants do well in such low lighting but you can try some ludwigia repens. As for other plants:
cryptocoryne sp.
java moss, xmas moss, phoenix moss whatever moss you can think of you can probably grow
java fern

Crypts can get really big but it takes time (several months).

Some anubias can get pretty tall like Anubias hastifolia. Also if you want healthier growth with your anubias pull the rhizome up out of the substrate and let it be exposed to open water and light. It doesn't like having its rhizome buried.

Go with crypto.spiralia it looks great and very hardy and easy here is a pic

Back
Top Bottom