Help with setting up 216L tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon1993

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there I have a 216 litre tank and am going to set it up to be a planted tank in a few months but I need help with what to get so Ivan start getting prepared now. I know I am going to get a co2 system but what are the best components and cheaper way to get it because my lfs asked for 2000$ and I thought that was ridiculous. I am going to use Eco complete as the substrate. I have a eheim professional 2 but what's the best way to set up the output. What type of lighting and nutrients would you also recommend thanks

A loaded message!

Whats "Best" is largely up to debate, I think whats "best for your budget" is a better question to ask.

What is your budget?

As for CO2, I've never done it seriously (other than a 2litre pop bottle and a bubble ladder) so I can't comment on that. There are some decent looking kits on e-bay for 200-250 bucks, you supply the 20lbs canister from a local welding shop.

I would be looking to spend a maximum of 400. I know I need a controller and a solenoid but I don't what's good and what's not. I looked at the DIY ways but I think I would make a bomb rather than co2 because I'm not handy in that type of way

I mean 400 for the co2 I will be buying it over time so I don't really have a budget set

I'll wait for someone else to pipe in, as I haven't bought a setup yet. I'm looking to do it on the cheap too so I'll likely be learning from this thread as well.

So far, what I understand, is that at minimum, you want a Decent quality solenoid, and 2 pressure meters. A High pressure one kinda tells you how much gas is left in the tank, and the low pressure one lets you know the pressure that is being regulated down to (your working pressure)

From what I understand, a good needle valve is required, is its what actually controls the rate at which CO2 comes out. its hard to dial some of the cheaper ones in at a steady rate.

That's all the research I've done so far. my DIY reactor will be attached to one of my powerheads when I do it, but it won't be until the new year. saving for a wedding, funds are tight.

That all made sense, do you know what the good brands are for the regulator with solenoid. Is the wedding yours :)

It is indeed my wedding. Its in 16 months, but I have to save a ton of money for it.

I've heard good things about milwakee, but I don't know enough to give sound advice. They're used more for beer making I believe, but can be made to work for Aquarium setups.

Basically what I've found is anything branded "for aquarium" carries a 100% price premium. The parts on their own look much much cheaper if you build and assemble. I'm just trying to figure out what all those parts are! ;-)

Once I've figured that out, I'll go shopping at a welding supply store and see what I can find.

$200 should be able to buy you an entire CO2 setup that is fairly high quality. As a baseline, a Milwaukee Regulator ($90), CO2 tank (~$60), and diffusion method of you choice ($10-50) will get you where you need to be. The remaining $200 should cover light (<$100) and anything else you might need (substrate, plants, etc).

Congratulation sudz. Ohh that's cheaper than I thought I almost died when my lfs said 2000$. Thank you for that and what would a price be for a decent ph controller and any recommended brands

I don't recommend buying pH controllers. I think they cost more money than they're worth, and can be replaced by simply understanding what you're doing.

But if you insist on getting on, Milwaukee also makes a pH regulator.

Oh, and as an aside, $2000 is an absolutely asinine number.

Ok we'll thanks for that and ill defiantly get Milwaukee. Is that the same brand as the Milwaukee tools. But great help thank you

I would look for another lfs, sounds like they are out for blood. There are several ph controllers to choose from, try drs foster smith. They have a diffuser that goes inline with your filter just remember a bubble counter, it is unreal. It infuses the co2 completely 100%

Back
Top Bottom