Help with Tank Depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azimuth

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to get a 40L 55 or 75 Gallon Tank.
If my main focus is on planting, is it better to get the 40L which is only 16" high as opposed to the 55G and 75G tanks that are 20" high?
I love "carpet plants" like micro-sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) so I guess light level close to the substrate is extremely important.

The reason I am concerned about tank depth is because I read somewhere that at 20" depth you need mercury bulbs and special fixtures.
any thoughts?

Last edited:
Taller would be better IMO assuming that you have enough light for the plants.

I will have 4x 40 watt Phillips F40D bulbs. on the 75G I will probably be able to fit 6 of these.

I'd actually recommend a 40 gallon Breeder over the 40 gallon Long. It also has the shorter height, but has better depth from front to back which makes it easier to aquascape. If you are set on just one of the three tanks you listed, then definately go with the 75 gallon.

if you can, go with the 75. using normal t12 bulb and wanting carpeting plants, put as many as will fit on top of the tank. you can also have deeper substrate to help reduce the actual floor depth.

They are nice fixtures, less than 5" so a 75G will fit 4 of them.. that's 8 bulbs. plus the fixtures are $8 each.

DON'T get a 55 if you want any kind of a foreground....unless you ONLY want foreground. They are too narrow to scape effectively. Trust me, I know....

For a smaller tank, 40 breeder or 50 (36x18x18") are great, for larger, 75 is the way to go.

As far as tank depth, you can always find lights that will work with any tank depth. I had a nice carpet of Hemianthus micranthemoides in my 55 with 2x96 watts PC.

Back
Top Bottom