Here we go again - Tank Advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve.mate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had 10 gallon tanks in the past, but now would like to try growing plants (I saw the beautiful Takashi Amano pictures in the book Aquarium Plant Paradise).

I am considering buying a used 55 gal Hagen tank and stand that includes Fluval 304 and 48" 2x65W coralife lighting, and heater and some fish. The price is $250.

I read the newbie advice thread, and one piece of advice I see commonly is to buy the biggest tank you afford. I'm a little worried about operating and upgrade costs as I learn more and try growing plants etc.

I understand this is completely subjective...Assuming that I can accommodate either in my house, do you think I'd be better off looking at a 30G used setup in the $150 range, and then add accessories from there, and go with the 55G for $250?

By the way I am expecting to keep a community tank of tetras, and I am familiar with the 1 in of fish per gallon approximation.

Another way to phrase my question: considering that I do not know much about CO2 and Dutch aquariums, am I going to be looking at a lot of additional $ to get the 55 gallon well-balanced for plant growth?

Sorry for the vagueness and lack of knowledge; any advice appreciated. Thank you, Steve

I would go for the 55. That fixture is worth over 100 new. To do a high light tank, you will need pressurized CO2 (at least 100.00), a planting substrate would be a good idea as well, there are many low cost options for that. That is the only non standard items needed.

I would go for the 55g also. You'll be able to keep a much wider selection of fish and even plants down the road if you ever change your setup. A big tank ($$ wise) is much harder to justify sometimes. When you have the chance... grab it. Those 29g tanks can be had for next to nothing compared to large tanks. I'm sure you will never regret it!

55 Gallon! I got a 44 Gallon Tall Pent because it's all that would fit - I regret it every day! I wish i waited till I moved out to get a 55 Gallon. 55 Gallons can hold many fish, and is easier to work on (long and shallow) my taller tank is a PITA.

Go for the 55 gal. you will not regret it. Read the stickies in the planted tank forum and ask questions on there about planning a planted tank and you will get plenty of answers to make an educated decision on what you need and what you don't this will help you avoid wpending money on stuff that you really don't need.

good luck planning and putting a tank togethere is half the fun.

55s are a great way to go, they are very versatile as far as having a wide range of option of things to do.
As far as plants go you can just add phosphorous and nitrogen suppliment, made by Flourish. Just add once a month and set the lights on a 12 hour timer. Add a bunch of fish away you go.
Below is a pic of one of our 55s, it it are 6 Longfin Zebra Danios, 6 Gold Leopard Danios, 6 Glass Bloodfin Tetras, 2 Kuhlie Loaches, 2 black Loaches, 2 Tiger Loaches, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, Cory Cats, plecs, Trapdoor snails, I think there are a couple of others that hide really well too.
There is a Marineland C-220 Canister filter hooked to it as well as an Undergravel Filter.
It has a pretty good eco system set up.
img_875033_0_2d0096935120947400e63ea892569c0b.jpg

I Hope this helps.
Jay

A very kind thanks for all of the responses.

As was suggested by all responses, I went ahead with the 55 gallon tank. Everything is installed and running smoothly - of course my mind is now filled with questions.

This is the lighting stand that I have:
Oceanic Systems | Products | Aqualight Deluxe Adjustable Mounting Legs

If you look at the picture you will notice that the legs are inside the rim of the tank.

My problem is that I need to put a glass top on the tank because if I fill the water to the top my fish jump out (apparently "flying fox" is a literal name). What do I do to install the glass? Buy a new pair of legs or is there a work-around?

Hi Steve

Egg crate is fine, just be aware that in a heated aquarium to expect a decent amount of evaporation. Just someting you'll need to plan for.

Good on ya for getting the 55g, BTW. Good choice!

I'm not keen on the advice to go ahead and specifically add phosphorous and nitrogen suppliments, unless you know already (via evidence) that this is what you need to add. Unless I have misunderstood something about BlueRam's suggestion here....

What your plants will need is the same thing that all plants needs. Macronutrients and Micronutrients. Since you are looking to do a high light/high maintenance setup wiht CO2, you might want to look into the EI dosing method. Lots of ppl here tend to find that quite successful.

So what are we putting into this lovely new eco system of yours? any ideas yet?

Thanks for the reply marchmaxima.

Thanks for the tip on Estimative Index Dosing. I found this link about it:
Estimative Index Dosing Guide - Science of Aquatic Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

Here is a link to some photos of my tank:
Picasa Web Albums - Steve Mate - Aquarium_Day1

It came with Fluval 304, and a power head (maxi-jet 400).
Also fish:
- The big angel fish
- 3 Green severums
- 2 flying foxes
- 2 corys
- 2 Chinese Algae eaters
- 1 Clown Pleco

I also picked up a used Python yesterday.

I need to trade the severums because I've learned they will eat all of my plants.

I haven't decided about fish yet, but saw this comment from BrianNY and it really caught my attention:
Currently I'm keeping Angels, several apistos, and of course discus. The reason these are my cichlids of choice is because they can all be kept in planted aquariums.

And then I came across these photos from a member of my local club:
Login

So Discus are currently on my mind as a possibility.

I cleaned my filter last night. I also removed some algae from my filter intake / outlet, and the PH. I used 220 sandpaper to take it off. Wasn't sure if that was a bad idea or not, but it was the only was it was coming off.

Here is my list of my to-dos:

1. I need to do a lot of reading.
  2. I need to get the threaded sink adapter for my python.
  3. What's the best way to splice fluval hose? When I first setup my tank I couldn't get the primer to work, so I thought cutting the hose might help. I thought the hose was symmetrical, and ended up cutting the wrong end (it was also 2 a.m at the time). I tried splicing with a 1/2 in coupler and ring clamps, and tightened hard with a wrench but it is still wet. The hose is an uncommon diameter between 1/2 and 3/4, I think it might be 17mm. New hoses are $17. Also, in the future I might add an in-line heater so I need to learn how to splice properly.
  4. Add egg crate screening to top of tank.
  5. I need to cover the bottom of my frame. I am thinking of using MDF board attached using fridge magnets to allow access. 3 panels for front and sides. Probably painted black.
  6. I'm working on procuring an AP test kit.
  7. I want to clean the algae of my rocks. I'm thinking of using a drill with a wire brush adapter. Well, I'll try plain old scrubbing first.
  8. Trade or give away the Severums. Also, figure out what fish I want and trade any other incompatible fish.
  9. Figure out plants, chemicals, substrate.
  10. Figure out other decorations - i.e. driftwood and rocks.
  11. Plant tank etc, test water etc.
  12. Add new fish.

Oh - by the way when I moved the tank I brought 6 6 gallon pails from a wine making store with lids, filled them all the way up with water from the tank, and moved them along with the tank.

My thoughts/concerns:

How old are the light bulbs? CF bulbs need to changed out atleast yearly if not sooner.

Substrate? Are you looking for something more natrual looking or just use what you have?

130 watts? That's ALOT of light for a 55 gallon tank without investing in CO2. You may be able to go without CO2, but that would mean you are completly packing the tank full of plants. And that still doesn't mean you could get away with it. The algae will let you know for sure. If you want a nice planted tank, I would look into a pressurized CO2 system since you already have a nice light setup.

Study the EI routine and ask questions. EI is not for everybody, but it is a good starting point for beginners. Do you know where to get the ferts?

Monthly dosing of PO4's and NO3's (as mentioned earlier) are not going to cut it with that much light. You will be looking at daily fertilizing and weekly PWC's to start with.

You need to get ahold of a lot of plants to start off with. Fast growing stem plants are your best bet when starting up a new tank. LFS, barter trade forum, other forums trade area's, online shops, ect...

Filter priming? From you picture I see the hoses are not cut to length. The hoses should be realitively straight down. Put the intake and outlet where you want them and then cut all the extra tubing out. If you decide to change the location some day, just buy new hoses. New hose isn't that expensive.

Discus are quite the fish and I am planning some myself. From what I have read, I need to do a lot more reading and I suggest you do the same. It will also be better (correct) to have you rtank up, cycled and operating for a month or two prior to adding discus. They also MUST be quarantined.

These are the singel two kost importnat points I've read so far about discus, so I just thought I'd mention it here.

I didn't realise you could keep angels with discus..... Hmmmmmmm.... I might like that.

I didn't realise you could keep angels with discus..... Hmmmmmmm.... I might like that.

There seem to be two very split camps on this idea. Some are dead set against keeping the two together due to the risk of the Angels introducing disease to the Discus, on the other hand some keep them together with absolutely no problems. It probably boils down to what your risk tolerance is.

Something else to keep in mind with Discus is that most owners do at least two large water changes per week to ensure that the water conditions are kept pristine.

Something else to keep in mind with Discus is that most owners do at least two large water changes per week to ensure that the water conditions are kept pristine.

Yeah, when I first read that, the first think that entered my head wa how I'm going to use the4 wayer on my garden and THEN the next through was how to explain it to others! I'll have to make a sign saying "(Fish) Tank Water in Use" so I don't have rocks thrown through my windows or fines in the mail because people and water police think I'm flouting the water restrictions.

Ah, the issues that global warming brings that you never dreamed of 15 years ago.....

The cost of the water. Ignoring costs of heating the water.

Here in Ottawa, Ontario I pay 0.868 per meter cubed of water.
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE][SIZE=+1]1 (meter cubed) = 264.172052 US gallons[/SIZE]

Assume two 50% water changes per week, 55 gallons per week.
55 gallons * 52 weeks = 2860 gallons
2860 / 264.17 = 10.826 m^3 * 0.868 = $9.39
Then there is a sewer surcharge tax of 145%, so add $13.61, total $23.00

Ok, not a huge amount of money. I imagine the heating costs would dominate.

Here's an article I found insightful today:
The Tranquil Aquarium by Grant Gussie

Back
Top Bottom