Here we go again, the great canister filter debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've finally come to the conclusion that my Aquaclear 70 just isn't cutting it for my 55 gallon tank. It doesn't produce enough circulation, and gets clogged all the time. When the cories and loaches poke around in the substrate it starts to look like a snow globe down there, which my foreground plants don't appreciate. So I think i need to upgrade my filtration, and I think a canister is the way to go. I've never had a canister, and have somewhat paid attention to the many and various discussions about them on this forum. What would you recommend for a canister for a heavily planted 55 gallon with a relatively large bioload of community fish including rainbows, cories, BN plecos, SAEs and loaches. Cost is somewhat of an issue as well.

Thanks everyone!

IMO, I would go with an XP 2 if cost is an issue. constuction is sound and filtration and flow are in-line with other filters of this nature. The XP3 would be better if you could manager the dough.

EDIT: just do not walk into a brick and mortar and buy it at the store price. Bring in the web price and see if they will match it or order it on-line. Petsmart.com has free shipping until the end of the year.

I'd go for an XP3...you get a tad more media in there and alot more filtration for not much more money. I have one on each of my 55g tanks. I am going to add a powerhead to my planted tank. Even with the spraybar mounted in the middle, I still need a little more flow in the tank...so gonna get a small powerhead. Overall though...they are awesome filters for the money. :)

One year, 6 months and my Fluval has been the consumate workhorse. From all of the conversations and comparisons of the various canisters from colleagues, Ehiem is first, Filstar second and Fluval third.

If cost is not a factor, consider the above rankings while making your choice.

I am very happy with my XP3 that is working correctly. I just got a second one and it is not sealing properly - shooting air into the tank... For what it is worth, customer support is not quick to respond... I may have to figure this one out on my own. I got the second one from thatpetplace.com and I think it was already opened, perhaps a floor model or returned, thus my problems...

Petsmart will match their website price if you print it out and bring it in (if you can't wait and want to get something today). I have also heard good things about fluval and ehiem. As Jchillin mentioned, sticking with one of these 3 brands would be your best bet.

I always suggest finding the one that is rated for your size tank (XP2) and then buy the next size up (XP3)... I don't think you could go wrong with an XP3. 2 XP2's would give you more options for flow, but that would cost a bunch more too.

I would also recommend the Rena Filstar. I've had their xP1 model on my 30g tank for over a year and have found it to be reliable, quiet, easy to maintain and unobtrusive. I suggest getting the Hydor ETH inline external tank heater to go with the canister filter. It helps make the tank look less cluttered and it has provided a very stable temperature for me.

Another vote for XP3. Mines a year old now, and works perfectly, and no leaks. I also get no spillage when I remove the hoses to take the canister to the sink for maintenance. Very good filter.

Agree with Jchillin on the filter pecking order, though I to use Fluvals on two tanks, great filters for the price. I inject my C02 directly into the intake and through the cannister, no problems at all. Which ever cannister you go with you will notice a huge improvement over the HOB. Nice, clear water. You should also get better C02 levels as your surface aggitation will decrease as you can set the output lower in the tank. I was surprised just how much my C02 levels shot up when I first switched from HOB to cannisters. Happy shopping!

Hmmmm, I thought I had posted to this thread yesterday....

Anyway, I say go for the canister but keep your HOB on there as well. My 55g mbuna tank has an Eheim 2217 AND Fluval 304 for filtration. I'm thinking about replacing the Fluval with a AC70 or AC110. A large enough HOB is great for mechanical filtration, while the canister offers superior biological filtration. You end up with the best of both worlds...

I'll second keeping the HOB, but I'm going to recommend the Eheim ECCO 2234. I have the 2233 (recently changed to 2234) and it works great. The Eheim ECCO is supposed to be the #1 cannister for bio-filtration. I use the Efisubstrat.....kind of gravel like stuff which has tons of surface area for bacteria.

I would ditch the HOB, but that is all preference. You may lose some CO2 due to surface agitation, but you gain mechanical filtation and water movement. (with an XP3, you really don't need anymore filtration and movement IMO)

crazyred said:
The Eheim ECCO is supposed to be the #1 cannister for bio-filtration. I use the Efisubstrat.....kind of gravel like stuff which has tons of surface area for bacteria.

In a high light, CO2 injected, fertilized tank, biological filtration is not a big concern. Having bio-media in the filter is a good fall safe though.

I put just filter floss in the HOB 'cause of the pleco...effluvia....and I pull out some truly filthy floss weekly.

If you have tidier fish you prolly don't need the HOB, but it's always a good plan to have 2 filters on a tank if you can, I think.

I have run HOB filters for most of my life, and am very happy to be rid of them. I can't say that they are any better or worse than a canister, in terms of mechanical filtration, but the canister gives you a lot more options and reduces overall clutter by hiding itself in the stand.

As an example, I have been able to route my CO2 injection, reactor and heater all through my canister plumbing underneath my aquarium, which IMO makes for a more aesthetically pleasing tank. Plus with a canister you have complete control of our input and output placements.

Some of the nicer Ehiem models have water heaters built in, which is a cool plus, but probably not worth the extra $$$. Just pick-up an inline heater w/ your Fluval or Filstar and you will be set.

Whatever your stance on bio-filtration, I have seen it done in HOB just like canisters, so I don't think that should sway your decision in that respect.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I'm glad for the consensus, and all the advice. I'll definitely keep the HOB on there while the new filter gets going, and then go from there. My plecos are messy, even though they're small.

I'll cast another vote for the Xp2. I use one on my 54 corner tank, and my son liked it so he bought one for his standard 55. If cost is more inportant than time...order on line.

Back
Top Bottom