Hi-tech planted Conversion - UPDATES - Feb.28.2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. That's a bumblebee goby. I have had mixed luck with them, but the last bunch has done very well. They are finicky eaters, but love bloodworms and will take to brine shrimp if you insist. These guys actually spawned at least once in the tank. I currently have 3 of them:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91005

Infact, for those interested, here is my current stocking:

3x SAE
3x Cory's
1x Kuhli Loach
10x Neons
10x Rummynose
2x Marble Hatchets (<-- they like to jump out of the tank, used to have 10)
7x Otos
3x Bumblebee Gobies
1x Farlowella Acus
4x Dwarf Puffers
4x African Dwarf Frogs
4x Glass Catfish
lots of Red Cherry Shrimp
lost of Amano Shrimp
a few Crystal Shrimp
a few Bee Shrimp
lots of Olive Nerites
lots of MTS

If I had it to do all over again, I would keep the Farlowella, DPs, BB gobies and Marble Hatchets, but would probably change out most of the other fish with less common equivalents.

That's some incredible work :) Your plant groupings look great and are very well placed. I love that mermaid weed. I don't think I've ever seen any that looked that good. I especially like the pearling on its tips. Spectacular!

Dap --

How are you doing with the madagascar lace? Having any issues? Special needs? This is a plant I want to experiment with.

Thx

Outstanding stuff! My only questions/concerns are

(aesthetically) - SAEs look pretty huge compared to rest of stock. Are they still "working" or are they at the fat, lazy (time to trade 'em out) stage of life?

(compatibility) - DPs - I see 'em getting along w/ ea. other as you have tons of visual barriers, huge tank etc. etc., but i fear that they will (later, if not now) discover a sleeping ADF or the benefits of a rear approach on neocaridinas and they'll pig out on them. But what do I know abt compatibility - I read a thread at APC today - JDs being kept w/ Kribs & at least 2 African Cichlid species... flies in the face of all I was taught early on.

XP3 Pre filter

I've been looking all over on here to see if you mentioned where you picked up your sponge pre filter for your XP3. Did you customize something or did you find them online? I wanna put that on my xp3 to keep the chunky plant matter out of my lines.

CatsDrool - The M Lace is doing great. I moved it back into a more shady area for now until other things grow out more... Under direct light the leaves turn kind of brown... Nothing you could see in a photo though. Definitely an awesome plant and one of my favorites.

Squawk - If I could get those SAEs out of there easily they would already be gone. I think they are next to worthless now that they are full grown, and I don't think they are a particularly attractive fish. As for the DPs, they are not quick enough to catch the neons, and honestly I wouldn't mind if they ate the frogs (the kids forced me to put them in there)... No such luck though... They seem to be picky about what they eat. Won't touch brine shrimp for example, but they love snails and bloodworms.

Well if you ever need to trim it, I'll be happy to offer a home to wayward trimmings

Migidy - The prefilters I have found them in many LFSs, but originally bought them online here: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...857/cl0/aquariumsystemsmaxijetprefiltersponge
Highly recommended.

CD - unfortunately I think the M Lace only propagates via seeds. If I can figure out how to get this one to flower and germinate, then you will be on the top of the recipient list, but don't hold your breath...

BTW, the Parrot's feather is growing 2-3 inches per day... Not sure this is going to work out in the long run. It is also spouting new tops at the bottom where the leaves are kinda turning yellow:

DSC01479.JPG

DSC01481.JPG

And here is the mostly hidden Madagascar Lace... It has decided to throw some leaves out into the light:

DSC01482.JPG

DSC01484.JPG

Though I plan on a serious trimming this weekend, I didn't want to miss the one-month mark from the tear-down. Lights were down to dusk cycle before I remember to snap some shots, so the pics suffer a bit...

DSC02300.JPG

Needless to say things are filling in well. To compare without having to go to the previous page, one month ago:

DSC00834.JPG

And two weeks ago:

DSC01396.JPG

The clover is filling in and growing all over itself in a fairly messy fashion:

DSC02291.JPG

The glosso is doing the same thing, but somehow looks better:

DSC02308.JPG

I am thinking I will let the glosso and clover co-mingle throughout... Shouldn't be long now:

DSC02294.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

The parrots feather I picked up to fill in the left side is just way to cumbersome. It grows about 3-inches a day as I mentioned last time around... Ughhh.

DSC02326.JPG

I will most likely post some more shots after I clean things up this weekend.

Wow, I just re-read through this whole thread. A fantastic story of a gorgeous tank! It really makes me want to make something out of my tank...

Back
Top Bottom