Hiding filter intake and heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those holes are very small so i doubt it will grow inside the tube

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome. I'm gonna do the same thing on my intake in a couple days. We can both post pics and compare.
What's your technique gonna be??? :)

I might just use rubber bands to hold the moss onto the filter tube. Attach it in the middle of the tube and see what happens. Not sure when I will add it though because I am going out of town Thursday until late on Sunday and the lfs is closed on Sundays

I'm gonna put moss on my intake and wrap it round with some fishing line.

"30% of the time it works every time"

Ohhhhkayyyyy..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would use fishing line over rubber bands if attaching the moss to the intake tube.
Now the heater is another matter. You could get a short piece of gutter guard or similar mesh and have it loosely wrap around the filter intake and heater (don't want to disrupt water flow around the heater) and grow your most on the mesh. Of put the heater in the corner. Not ideal for heat distribution though. If it is full submersible, then drop it down behind the big DW on the left.
Personally not a fan of intakes and moss. I had a natural moss wall growing in my tank but the moss kept sucked onto the intake screen. And the moss was a natural bridge for the snails (which would get stuck as well).
Anchorman (the first one) was okay but I prefer step brothers or Talladega Nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
The heater isnt fully submersible unfortunately. Didn't realize that until I got it home from the store. Wish i did get a fully submersible though

Which make and model is the heater? I have a Fluval M series and it has what looks like a water line mark near the top but upon further research discovered it was full submersible.
Maybe putting in the corner might make it look less noticeable.
Then again, once you get the plants going, no one will notice the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No model but it is a fluval

Attachments

• 1416277308013.jpg
    1416277308013.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 77
All my moss eventually gets sucked up into my filter intake and sticks there anyways, so I suppose I'll just leave it there now.

Lots of great suggestions here! I can't wait to try some. I loathe looking at the mechanicals, but since two of them (filter and power head) produce a lot of suction and current, I've been unsuccessful so far.

I just put cabomba in my tank 2 weeks ago and despite few ferts and low light it's growing like crazy over by the heater. Almost 18" already. I wonder if dropping it's needles is specific to water parameters?

I'm about to try some brazilian pennywort floating in front of the power head parallel to it's current ... I am not succeeding with photos so let me see if I can explain ... In my betta tank I took 2 bunches from the store, and trimmed them down where they branched. Now at each branch is a "v" shape, which hooks nicely around the heater cord and itself. I kind of wove it together a little and it looks very natural and interesting. Makes it densely leafy, so it's a better screen. It's been that way for 4 months and is doing well.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

No model but it is a fluval

Sink it! Mines been at the bottom of.my water barrel for months and months.. it's a technicality, same ones sold in the UK lack the min/max lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That explains why the heater works after being fully submerged a couple of times

Back
Top Bottom