Hiding filter intake and heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the top 5 or so plants for hiding filter intakes and heaters? I was thinking amazon sword but am not sure.

Also what would be good foreground plants? Anubias nana???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would go with stem plants or vallisneria. Anything with vertical growth.
Your selection of foreground plants depends on your lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right now I am running a T8 for 10 hours a day. Hopefully i will get a 30 inch elive LED for Christmas though.

Would the wisteria i have near the filter now grow up and block it? Been in for 2 weeks and i have not seen any upward growth.

I am worried that I am adding to many plants for my light amd nutrients right now so this is for future reference.

Is the bacopa the same as moneywort?

I might add that to the far left side of my tank instead of using it to block the filter.

I have a 29 gallon tank so it is 19 inches tall. If I can get something that will grow to the surface I would be really happy.

So many cool plants so little space...lifes challenges

Is the bacopa the same as moneywort?

I might add that to the far left side of my tank instead of using it to block the filter.

I have a 29 gallon tank so it is 19 inches tall. If I can get something that will grow to the surface I would be really happy.

So many cool plants so little space...lifes challenges

ya know, moneywort might be what I was thinking of.
anacharis grows into loooong strands. I pull/trim pieces that sometimes are over 2 feet long from my ten gallon about every 6-8 weeks..LOL

I've got some anacharis in front of my heater, though it hasn't filled in quite enough to hide it, I can vouch for it to say that in the past 6-7 weeks since I've planted it it's gone from 8" to probably 25"--my tank is about 20 inches from water to substrate and they have reached the surface and then curled over to go horizontal. Not sure how much of that is my lighting/ferts/whatever and how much is inherent to the plant, though.

This was my tank a couple weeks ago. Note the anacharis strand that is in the middle back area

Attachments

• 1416201080306.jpg
    1416201080306.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 272
This is the tank today. That stem is now at the water line. From the pictures can you guys see any growth from the wisteria? Bad angle on todays picture compared to before

Edit: I can see the difference in ths wisteria now. Didn't think it had grown that much!

Attachments

• 1416201168346.jpg
    1416201168346.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 464
If you don't have a HOB filter then get an inline Hydor heater.

You can grow java moss on the intake's tube, just make sure the opening stays clear.

If you don't have a HOB filter then get an inline Hydor heater.

You can grow java moss on the intake's tube, just make sure the opening stays clear.

I was just about to say the same thing. Inline heater and canister filter.

I have a HOB right now and the heater is right next to it. I will use this heater until it dies and then will get the inline for the fluval 306 I am hoping to get for Christmas.

Will the java noss get sucked into the filter intake and mess up the impeller??

I have a HOB right now and the heater is right next to it. I will use this heater until it dies and then will get the inline for the fluval 306 I am hoping to get for Christmas.

Will the java noss get sucked into the filter intake and mess up the impeller??

Absolutely, it will. In fact, it will actually grow inside the filter, but it doesn't cause too much of a fuss. Easy to remove. Hope you get what you want for Christmas. I'm shooting for a new pair of boots, and maybe a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Haha.

Regardless, it could take quite some time for that heater to die. You could always hide it with a big chunk of driftwood, just not too close. Plus there are several stem plants that could hide it.

Java moss
Anacharis
Cambomba
Are all useful for this purpose. Although cambomba tends to shed it's spines everywhere.

Might get the java moss to hide the filter or wait for the wisteria to grow up and hide the filter and heater

Might get the java moss to hide the filter or wait for the wisteria to grow up and hide the filter and heater

Java moss and filter intakes.. hmmmm;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tie it down well and it'll be fine. Better for loose bits of moss to go into the filter than to litter the tank IMO

That is the bottom part of my filter intake, don't think plants will ge going up tube at an alarming rate

Attachments

• 1416254711063.jpg
    1416254711063.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 80
If your worried put a thin sponge over the intake. Doesn't look like it'll be a problem though :)

Back
Top Bottom