High ammonia could it be my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello i have 60 litre tank with a small amount of substrate i am new to keeping fish and my plants are not doing very well. they are turning yellow with brown spots. i have tried using interpet flora boost but it doesnt seem to have done anything. in the picture i have included the plant on the far left has had lots of peices broken off and are decaying does this add to my amonia? the picture was taken when the plants were new so they look healthy but they dont anymore.
37953-albums1631-picture11031.jpg

The plant on the right is a non aquatic plant and will rot and add ammonia to your tank. Also it could be the lights causing the plants to go brown. But another reason is that have you cycled? If not cycling is a very important step in a fish tank. The cycle causes bacteria to build up and get rid of all ammonia. So my segguestion is to take out the plant on the right and hopefully that will help :)

sorry the plants on the right are plastic the only live plants are the far left one and two in the middle. my tank is 2 months old and has cycled (at least i think because there is lots of bacteria in the filter)

tmdavies said:
sorry the plants on the right are plastic the only live plants are the far left one and two in the middle. my tank is 2 months old and has cycled (at least i think because there is lots of bacteria in the filter)

What makes you certain your tank is cycled? What are your water parameters? How do you test, strips or liquid? It helps to post those numbers.

Looks like Cabomba on the left but pic is too small to tell (app user here). Go to plantgeek.net to double check.

Rotting plants will add ammonia to the tank, but I'm not sure that's the case here. To ensure your tank is cycled, you really need to measure the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. The ammonia and nitrite should be at zero and the nitrate 5-20ppm ideally.

There is a lot of information missing in your request for advice. I had a bad problem with ammonia after adding substrate and plants. Turns out the substrate had organic compounds that were decomposing and caused my ammonia spike. So, how old is the tank? How old is the filter and what kind? How long ago did you put plants in? What were the water parameters before plants? What are they now? What type of substrate did you use? How long do you keep the lights on and what kind are they?

Most of the time just gathering this information will point to the source of the problem.

Jorge

Back
Top Bottom