High light for 10 and 20 gallons.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing a new scape in my 10 gallon, and I want to be able to grow a carpet of some sort, so I need to upgrade to high light. I'm currently using 2 13 watt 6500k bulbs, which give beautiful light, but not enough to grow a carpet I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong). Could I just take the 2 23 watt bulbs I have hanging in shop lights and put those on my 10 gal, or is that still not enough light? And if so, what should I use for my 20 gal. I would like the higher range of medium light for that tank. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget, so any cheap options are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you are talking about 2 13 watt and 2 23 watt lights than yes you would have plenty of light. Perhaps too much even for EI and pressurized co2. That should be your best bet. If not even 2 23 watt lights would do well, perhaps medium-high light. You could always go with an 18" Finnex Ray 2. If so you would probably need pressurized co2 as well as PPS Pro or EI.

Oh and for your 20 gallon either a Finnex Fugeray planted+ or a Finnex Ray 2 would give you medium-high light. Is it a 20 gallon tall or long?

Currently the 10 gal only has 2 13 watts, but they are in the incandescent hood, so I was thinking of removing the fixture and replacing it with 2 23 watt shop lights, if that's enough light. Right now I'm just dosing with liquid CO2...I've been trying to avoid spending the money and effort on a CO2 system :/

And the 20 gal is a 20 gal high.

I just picked up some black lava rock from my lfs so I'm going to start messing around with a mountain style scape with that for my 10 gal. I'll make another post to get some input for that layout and design, because I don't have any experience with hardscapes, but I know I want some moss or carpet to cover parts of the rock and surroundings so it gives a meadow effect.

If its a 20 high then a ray 2 would give you easily medium light, perhaps more. A planted+ would be the same setup i have, and probably around medium light. And 2 23 watt CFLs over a 10 gallon tank should easily give you medium+ light, certainly enough to carpet staurogyne repens, maybe dwarf hair grass or baby tears.

Either way pressurized co2 would be your best bet, at least if you do a ray 2 for either tank, but you could try heavy glut dosing instead.

Okay, thanks a bunch. What is glut dosing?

Okay, thanks a bunch. What is glut dosing?

Glut stands for gluteraldahyde which is a liquid carbon source and an algaecide. It's the main ingredient in Seachem Excel but some people buy metricide 14 in bulk, which has glut as its main ingredient, and mix it equal parts with water, to save money. I don't know much more because i just dose excel.

Yeah, excel is what I usually use as well. I'll have to look into it if it's a cheaper option. Co2 systems just seem so expensive and difficult -_-

Back
Top Bottom