High light . . . no CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here's the deal: I'm thinking about building the DIY CO2 kit. I have been running 130watts over my planted 55 gallon for two weeks now. What will I start to see if I don't add the CO2 injection soon?

Yeah, figured that. Starting to see it appear on the back of the tank. But is THAT it?

And is THAT the main purpose for CO2. To control algae? Does algae breath O2 instead of CO2?

And is THAT the main purpose for CO2. To control algae? Does algae breath O2 instead of CO2?

Algae loves a diet of O2. By injecting CO2 (which algae really doesn't like), you control the algae and feed the plants.

"Starve a cold...feed a fever" - Something like that :)

ive tried that, but its pretty hard to control it. because it wont let out co2 under a certain point i think.

Injecting CO2 into the sump is the same as into the main, as its all the same water column. Surface turbulation from overflow and sump of course will gas off CO2, so if you can limit it you'll make life easier, and if you run wet/dry you would want to remove it. Injecting CO2 immediately after the return pump (using return piping as a reactor chamber) can be very effective and minimizes equipment. I would think pressurized CO2 is necessary to maintain high ppm at that volume.

Check out this thread: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=50787 -- if your light is NO maybe you could get away with using a wet/dry to maintain atmospheric CO2. You might have too many watts and may have to lower wpg or this to work, though. Just an option you may want to research.

Current layout of submerged drain and biomedia is good for CO2 injection.

Pete, Do you have enough volume left in your current sump in case of a power outage?

I don't know how you drain into your sump, but I would assume it's with a overflow or maybe the tank is reef ready. In any case... to me it looks like the sump would overflow if you lost power?

Back to the topic... I am going to use some of the suggestions czcz gave me regarding using a wet/dry/sump and injecting CO2. Your setup is not a wet/dry but rather a sump while my setup is a wet/dry (trickle) then a sump. I am going to attempt this with hopes it will work.

I know it would better if you could put a top over your sump to help minimize CO2 loss, but not required.

If you can keep the overflow from "sucking" to much air and keep the water turbulance in both the sump and the tank to a minimum I would believe you can maintain decent CO2 levels.

I have not started injecting CO2 into my system yet but when I do I am going fully pressurized, since I know I will need to inject more CO2 than a DIY system can provide to make up for the fact I have a wet/dry (trickle filter) in my current setup.

I was wondering if I couldn't rig the CO2 system to inject into the pump, so then pump carries the CO2 through the water all the way back up to the main tank.

Anyways, I have tested my overflow . . . I know how it looks, but she doesn't over flow after a power loss.

Better to inject after the pump to avoid damage to the impeller. I do it immediately after the pump to maximize pipe ("reactor") length. If you do DIY CO2 you have to make sure the yeast canisters are always producing gas for this to work, as otherwise they will fill with water and the mix will get into the tank. 2 canisters on a T works, and at your volume maybe gallon jugs with appropriate mix would be best. Check valve would be wise but separator bottle works too.

Alternatively, you could use a traditional diffusor and stick it in the sump.

Sorry I hadn't checked this in a little while. Thanks czcz.
I actually meant after the pump . . . but RIGHT after it. There is a valve after the impeller that I could inject CO2 into. I was thinking about doing both, the seperate bottle and a check valve. I actually have 4 two liter bottles ready to go. I may chain them all together and put the mixture in three of them. I'm wating on this though, because I am buying the equipment to upgrade my sump design a little. Going to add ten more gallons.

Back
Top Bottom