high tech low light tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smarsh7903

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just made the decision to get rid of my high tech 110 gal planted since I'll be having to move into an apartment. I have a bunch of 20's laying around and setup one already with some wood, rock, anubis, and java moss/fern. The only light it has is a single 15w light. It is very dismal. My anubis and moss seem to be ok and are growing. I would like to upgrade the lights a little more but keep it low light to med at the most. I still have my co2 regulator and tank and was considering making the tank low light with co2 and ferts. I would like to add some crypts. Has anyone done this before/is it possible?

You could run the CO2 and ferts on a low-light tank, but you're risking an algae bloom. Light counts as a nutrient and a low-light high-tech tank would have a deficiency of light.

That was my logic as well, but do you think you could dose small amounts of co2 and ferts

Ferts and low light is not a good idea. The reason we supplement high light tanks with frets is because important nutrients bottom out quickly in a tank with fast growing plants. Adding frets to a low light tank when they are not needed is not going to lend any positive results. Rather, it will most likely result in algae since there will be excess nutrieents for it capitalize on.

Co2... You can run it on a low light tank without much consequence. But it won't really provide much benefit either.

Cool. I guess I hate to see everything unused. I'm going to try this low light thing for a while and experiment with the c02. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom