High Tech Planted Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long should i give it before i start looking for changes in the plants? I know it will probably take a few days, so after a week should I start thinking about modifying the doses more if need be?

I'm not sure how long you have to wait till you see a change in the anacharis, but I have some half dead ones, and I pulled off all the brown leaves to promote new growth, so I'm in the same waiting boat as you. I've got alot of little stems that I need to wait and see how fast it grows. I'll tell you if I see some growth, and you can tell me if you see some growth, and then we can compare our methods ^^

alia258 said:
I'm not sure how long you have to wait till you see a change in the anacharis, but I have some half dead ones, and I pulled off all the brown leaves to promote new growth, so I'm in the same waiting boat as you. I've got alot of little stems that I need to wait and see how fast it grows. I'll tell you if I see some growth, and you can tell me if you see some growth, and then we can compare our methods ^^

I don't have any Anacharis in this tank so I'm not sure how good of a comparison it'll be haha

Oh...hmmm...I have some melon swords that are getting holes in the leavs, maybe those are similar enough? Do you have any other stem plants? Or is it possible that I confused your thread with another? I'm sure someone on here had issues with an anacharis, saying that they kept melting...well I hope I can help you anyway! ^^

Oh...hmmm...I have some melon swords that are getting holes in the leavs, maybe those are similar enough? Do you have any other stem plants? Or is it possible that I confused your thread with another? I'm sure someone on here had issues with an anacharis, saying that they kept melting...well I hope I can help you anyway! ^^

Anacharis melting isn't a very uncommon issue, so i'm sure that if you do a search you'll find plenty of people who have a similar issue. I do have some stem plants but the issues i'm having seem to be nutrient related since I'm seeing the same issues across almost all of them.

The only plants that I currently have in this tank are:

Plants:
Dwarf Sag
Wisteria
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Didiplis Diandra
Water Sprite

You should notice some subtle changes after your first week and it should be dramatic changes as time goes on with you using the dry ferts.

You should notice some subtle changes after your first week and it should be dramatic changes as time goes on with you using the dry ferts.

Perfect! thanks for the help!

Does the amount that i dosed look alright or do you think i should modify it some?

skywhitney said:
Perfect! thanks for the help!

Does the amount that i dosed look alright or do you think i should modify it some?

Your doing it right start off with recommended doses and increase accordingly to your plants needs whether it be increasing one or more of the nutrients. Each species especially stem plants have certain needs some in more ways than others.

All swords are heavy root feeders so you need to put one or two root tabs near the plant.

Discusapisto said:
Your doing it right start off with recommended doses and increase accordingly to your plants needs whether it be increasing one or more of the nutrients. Each species especially stem plants have certain needs some in more ways than others.

So the EI methodology really caters to a multi species tank in the sense that if you dose a little high all the way around it should, by default, provide enough for everything to take in the proper amount. Kinda right or am I off base?

Last edited:
Fdsh5 said:
All swords are heavy root feeders so you need to put one or two root tabs near the plant.

This in regards to my issue or alia's?

If mine: I do, which has until now been one of my saving graces. :)

Oh if they're heavy root feeders then I'll put another tab in ^^

EI assumes co2 isnt a limiting factor and medium light. If you're not injecting co2, you'll need to reduce dosing appropriately.

But as previously mentioned, you'll see last weeks results this week and next week, and so on.

aqua_chem said:
EI assumes co2 isnt a limiting factor and medium light. If you're not injecting co2, you'll need to reduce dosing appropriately.

But as previously mentioned, you'll see last weeks results this week and next week, and so on.

So, another question....Lol

CO2 bosters and/or injection. I'm guessing the booster just "boosts" or intensifies the amount of CO2 thats available in the tank?

I obviouly understand how injection works, but would the booster be beneficial in any way with concurrent injection?

alia258 said:
Wouldn't fish create enough CO2?

Nope. Most of it comes from the atmosphere.

skywhitney said:
So, another question....Lol

CO2 bosters and/or injection. I'm guessing the booster just "boosts" or intensifies the amount of CO2 thats available in the tank?

I obviouly understand how injection works, but would the booster be beneficial in any way with concurrent injection?

CO2 boosters don't affect co2 directly. They provide an alternate source of carbon for plants to utilize. CO2 is a better source of carbon in all cases. Excel (or whatever product you're using) can be used concurrently, but it's not only really advantageous if you're fighting hair algae or something of the sort.

Waaaaaait...do you think my plants need CO2? I have melon swords according to the people on here (I didn't know what it was when I bought it)

Back
Top Bottom