Hob filter addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugeyefireguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a well established tank and was thinking about adding another filter to it to help with the particulate in the water after i clean the gravel each week. would this cause any issues with my planted tank?I keep my nitrates at 10-15ppm for the plants and just not sure if the new filter will cause any problems.

Nope I don't think it would cause any problems at all in a planted tank. I read that the beneficial bacteria can only colonize so much. They colonize only as much as they need to break down ammonia and nitrite. But either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well I added the extra filter, which was never used and now my water is cloudy and my ammonia level has climbed to .25 from zero yesterday. You think this new filter has caused a new cycle to start? My fish all seem fine and Nitrate is constantly at 15 for the plants. I also added three new Spotted Cory cats and they may have caused it now that i think about it. I will watch it very closely and see how it goes.

The new filter shouldn't set off a mini-cycle, but adding new fish would. Dose with Prime or Ammo-lock if you are worried, and I agree that you should keep an eye on it. The bio-filter will need to adjust to the increase in bio-load, but the new filter should help a bit. Are you using activated charcoal, or just the mechanical filtration?

The new filter has AC in it, the original filter was mechanical/Bio filter combination. I am pretty sure its because of the Cory trio I added. As long as the ammo stays below 1ppm all should be fine. It is def adjusting because it was perfectly fine before I added them today. Thanks.

Yes that was my assumption when I decided to utilize the extra filter I had laying around. I may just be paranoid about it though.

Unless you removed your existing filter for the new one, odds are the spike is from your new additions. Just keep an eye on params and the bb should catch up in no time. (y)

It sounds like the ammonia rise is the bacteria not being used to the extra fish. The bacteria will accept the change, colonize the new filter and take care of the increased ammonia quickly. As long as our stays below 0.5 i would not add ammonia carb because you need the ammonia to increase to trigger the bacteria to reproduce. Prime detoxifies ammonia but still allows the bacteria to break it down, so you will get the bacteria growth. You need more bacteria to care for the increased bio load. Do a pwc daily, and keep an eye on your levels. Good luck and have fun with your new additions

Tank Filtration

I have a well established tank and was thinking about adding another filter to it to help with the particulate in the water after i clean the gravel each week. would this cause any issues with my planted tank?I keep my nitrates at 10-15ppm for the plants and just not sure if the new filter will cause any problems.

Hello bug...

I don't think you need more filtration, you may only need better filter medium. An alternative is to use a good poly fiber like Acurel or HBH in your filter. This is the way to remove the particles in the water that cause cloudiness, if this is the problem. Saves you a little money on another filter.

If you have a planted tank, you don't need to vacuum the gravel. The old plant and fish material dissolves in the tank water and nourishes the plants. This saves money on pricey plant fertilizers.

B

I already had the filter, it was an extra laying around. I put a new cartridge in it and put it on. The ammonia levels were at zero prior to adding three new fish. Now it's holding steady at .25ppm. The added filter was an attempt to reduce the particulate in the water. The established filter is a fluval 20 aqua clear power filter. It has a foam filter(mech), chemical(ammonia remover) and bio filtration.

Found the culprit for the cloudiness. I took bbradburys advice and picked up some acurel filter fiber. The additional filter was chock full of debris and I think the charcoal was not up to the task of my tank. I removed the filter and put the acurel in my fluval and its a noticeable difference in clarity. The ammonia is still hovering at .25 but that's expected I guess until the bio medium catches up. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom