Holding down plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good way to anchor down small plantlets like off of water sprite?

I've seen people thoroughly rinse a washer (a metal washer, that you use with a screw or a bolt), thread a cotton string through it, and use that to anchor their plants. By burying the washer/anchor, you add some additional weight. Hope that helps. :)

Yeah ive heard of similar things. But what i dont get is can i remove that after they root down or do i just keep it in there?

My understanding is that the anchor is just left there, if it's just a normal washer. I also looked up some actual dedicated plant anchors and found some links, but as I'm new here I don't know the rules yet about posting links to other websites. I've heard good things about Professional Plant Anchors but have never actually tried them myself. They're supposed to be expandable and "grow" with the plant.

For plants like water sprite just let them float until they grow bigger before planting them. Other plantlets shouldn't be removed until they are large enough to plant on their own. If you are cutting and replanting stem plants just cut the tops off with at least 1.5 inches of stem and that will give you enough room to replant.

Plant sinkers are unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom