Holes in leaves ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no doubt about both stores selling me improper plants. I already swore off one of them for doing this to me with other stuff.

I'm in the us. And I'll be checking another shop tonight for the bulb but I did find one on amazon too.

I probably am interested in what you have in that bucket. I'll get with you once I get paid again. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have no doubt about both stores selling me improper plants. I already swore off one of them for doing this to me with other stuff.

I'm in the us. And I'll be checking another shop tonight for the bulb but I did find one on amazon too.

I probably am interested in what you have in that bucket. I'll get with you once I get paid again. ;)

Best thing to do in future is go to the store, find plants you like, dont buy them but go home and research them. Then if they turn out to be ok, return to buy.

From my time on the forum, brookster has always been a reliable source of info for me. Im sure any plants you receive from him will be great and at a good price.

I cant help with giving you plants as im in the UK

Hmm, it's been a while since I ordered bulbs.. i know petco has them.. the plants are free, I just hate throwing them out..thanks sk3lly! But we all know you're the man to talk to about planted tanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
The Topfin live plants in the gelpacks (not tubes) are an option if there are any PetSmart stores nearby. They offer a variety of crypts which do well in low light. I believe I have the same fixture in my low light shrimp tank. Low maintenance: water changes and the occasional root pellet:
Gx7odSr.jpg
Another source for plants are other AA members. Check the classified section of this forum.

Free plants? Well ya!
Ill pm you ;)

You folks have been ever so helpful!

Nice tank fresh20. Looks great!

I do have petsmart. I'll look to see what they have in the gelpacks. I figured the ones in the tube weren't good for my tank. Glad to confirm ;) I'll check their bulbs too

Best thing to do in future is go to the store, find plants you like, dont buy them but go home and research them. Then if they turn out to be ok, return to buy.

From my time on the forum, brookster has always been a reliable source of info for me. Im sure any plants you receive from him will be great and at a good price.

I cant help with giving you plants as im in the UK

Thanks! I'll definitely research better. I wish I didn't trust people so much sometimes!

So I pulled the actinic bulb and replaced with a 6700. What a difference!! Next I will replace the 10,000 with a color max I think. Or Other suggestions?

Also. I've been dosing with excel but not sure at the right dose.

I got some co2 booster also.
What should I dose these at in a 12gal long ?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Excel is a liquid carbon the same as co2 booster.

You could probably safely dose 1ml excel per 2gallons. So maybe 6ml total per day

Oh snap! Dang! I thought I saw a post that someone was dosing excel and co2 booster. That's why I ordered it. :/.

Ok. Anything else I could/should dose to help my plants thrive?

Its ok you'll soon get through the both of them.

Well seeing as your low light levels the fish waste should provide the majority.

A seachem comprehensive should have rest of the things your mights will need

Am I still low light with the 6700 and the 10k?

Yes the kelvin rating is just the colour spectrum.

You may be medium light with a t5 fixture i dont really know. Im a led bloke lol.

Some things worth goggle searching and researching

Aquatic plant colour spectrum
Kelvin rating
PAR (photosynthetic active radiation)

To move up the lighting levels you need powerful lighting fixtures capable of producing useful light energy that is able to penetrate through the water. Im of the opinion t5's are not great. T5 high outputs on the other hand are good

You are right. I will google today.

They are T5 HO BTW. ;)
I was originally going to do a salt micro. I set it up and it wasn't going too great for the time and $$ I had. So I broke it down. But that's why the lights I chose. I have to work with the fixture.
I'll google as recommended and learn more. That will help lots;)

Ah ok fair enough. Well on a 12g and t5ho you may be into high light.

If your are not using pressurised co2 then you should really be looking at dosing excel at 1ml per gallon. Your plants will photosynthesise faster and therefore use up their carbon sources quicker. Look into diy co2, might be a good option for you.

As for ferts, the seachem i suggested earlier probably wont cut it. Green leaf aquarium is a good source of dry ferts. You mix them yourself. Works out cheaper and they last ages. Also much stronger

I would seriously only consider running lights at 6 hours max for the time being. Ideally split into two photoperiods by the use of a 'siesta' period inbetween

I'm going to look at DIY co2 ;)
1ml@12g= 12ml. Per day?

We just drove to Tucson to check out a few stores and they have one that was phenomenal. Aquascaping paradise.

I walked out with a great patch of flame moss and a little batch of PHYLLANTHUS FLUITANS
Floating plant. My husband might get tired of driving me all the way to Tucson to buy plants. Lol

Im going to order some green leaf ferts too. The Tucson store carried ADA exclusively.

I'm going to look at DIY co2 ;)
1ml@12g= 12ml. Per day?

We just drove to Tucson to check out a few stores and they have one that was phenomenal. Aquascaping paradise.

I walked out with a great patch of flame moss and a little batch of PHYLLANTHUS FLUITANS
Floating plant. My husband might get tired of driving me all the way to Tucson to buy plants. Lol

Im going to order some green leaf ferts too. The Tucson store carried ADA exclusively.

Yea i think you'd be ok to build up to that level. People way overdose excel with no affect on fish.

I order all my plants online. I like the tropica range.

Im tearing down my tank and starting an ADA build in september after my holiday. I really cannot wait to get started on it

I think I'm gonna do my 20 g an ADA Build too!!! Just haven't told the hubs. Haha
I look forward to seeing what you do and following that!

The Tucson store said they'd ship to me.

Ah sweet i think im going 20g too :) the 60P i think. Great footprint on the tank.

I'll defo follow yours too. Love a build thread!!

Cool;) me too! Some great ones on here.

If I start a build my hubs is gonna want another salt tank. We are too poor for a double addiction in this hobby! Lol. We want to open a store.

I've been reading up on greenleaf and the ppo. I will probably order that when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom