Holes in my Hygro Rosenervig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
It is the older leaves but they have holes that seems to multiply daily. More and more leaves fall off daily also.

NO3 - 40
PO4 - 4-5
KH - 11
GH - 18
pH - 7.0
NO2 - 0
NH4 - 0
Lighting is 3+watts/gallon NO
Dose CSM+B to .3 ppm Iron, 1 Tbsp every other day
Dose K2SO4 at 1/4 tsp every other day

I took the levels of NO3 and PO4 up because I thought it would help but it is getting worse.

I do some very slow growing algae but it has been that way for months.

The new leaves and new growth are all looking great. All the stems have taken a good root hold so I don't want to rip them up but they just look terrible. I have had the plant for about 6 weeks now. Descent growth but nothing as fast as I have been told they can grow.

Would it be best to get rid of the older growth by cutting and replanting the newer stuff or is there something else? Should I leave the older stuff and let it come back as a couple of the stems have done and just replant the newer stuff?

I would cut off the bottoms and replace the tops. Maybe up the potassium. Are the plants crowded they may not be getting enough light at the bottoms.

There is only 4 Hygro and 4 Rotala Rotundifolia so definately not over crowded, if anything every square inch gets light.

Should I leave the bottom and see if they come back also? One of the ones that looked like a dead stem actually has a really nice offshoot.

I have the same problem with the same plant, and I think JChillin does too. I just cut the tops off and replant them, that way I always have the best parts....I can't figure out why it does that either. If I do, I'll post it!

FYI don't worry about pulling the roots up....the top stems will regrow new roots very very quickly.

I wonder if root tabs are the way to keep the bottoms going strong. It just seems like the hygro should be a really good bushy stem plant that should fill out really well. New shoots and leaves all over the place. I will try some other things with it before I start ripping up the roots. They just hold so well in the gravel and I have never had a stem plant ever take root in my gravel. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom