Holes in new growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new to crypts so I don't know if they are supposed to look like this, but I also see holes in the leaves of my flame leaf so I'm not to sure what it is and how I fix it, I've read about plant deficiencies and I have all those bases covered, I still have some crypt melt im leaving on the plant, but I do believe (being an ex landscaper) it's kinda the same concept of leaving saplings at the base of a tree, nutrients still go to the melting leaves taking away from the new growth, as saplings will tank away from the upper tree killing the top half (I am probably wrong but just an opinion) the holes in the L repens are just bad old leaves I will remove during my pwc this Thursday.

I dose thrive at 2 pumps which is 14 ppm nitrate, 10 ppm potassium, 2.6 ppm phosphate,.0.50 ppm Fe and a bunch of others that's not listed as a value per amount.

Should I trim the melt away?
Should I trim bad leaves?
Should I add root tabs?
I've read crypts don't like excel should I stop dosing that?

I've also read it could be root rot but I haven't pulled a plant up to check.

Here are some pics on imgur
Plant update https://imgur.com/a/y8mzW

What fish do you have? Any snails? I wouldn’t worry too much about those holes. The plants look healthy.

What fish do you have? Any snails? I wouldn’t worry too much about those holes. The plants look healthy.
Rainbows which do pick at the plants, tetras which leave the plants alone, and yes I have snails grrr, but what's weird is the snails are dying off since I added the new plants like they are getting starved or something, I have to Pull dead snails off my inlets every other day and I have a BN pleco which would rather eat on the rock than the glass /wood /plants, I was told it's not a (forgot how it was worded) a real BN I guess because he's 2.5 almost 3 years old and only 2.5"

EDIT not your average BN is what I was told
My parameter are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25
Ph 7.5
Phosphate 1.2
Kh 6
Gh 6.5
Temp 78

It’s most likely fish/snail damage.
I'll keep an eye out abd see if more come up like this, if so I'll add some root tabs and see if it helps, I don't see snails on the crypts only the anubias and the fern, but I don't watch the tank 24/7 either.

I’d actually be interested to see the plants in another few weeks dosing at those levels.

That’s quite a lot of iron.

How often do you dose these nutrients? I may have missed this info further up.

I’d actually be interested to see the plants in another few weeks dosing at those levels.

That’s quite a lot of iron.

How often do you dose these nutrients? I may have missed this info further up.
Thrive is 2 pumps 1 x weekly 3 x 5 ml excel, when I did 4 pumps of thrive I started getting algae, so I cut back, I get a little brown algae still but not nothing major so I think I'm at the right level, I get new plant growth but minimal algae.

I high dose glut and my crypts grow like mad. I personally try to remove any dead or damaged leaves. While it won't kill the plant to leave them on it does take nutrients away from the plants slowing new growth. I cut anything damaged every water change.

I high dose glut and my crypts grow like mad. I personally try to remove any dead or damaged leaves. While it won't kill the plant to leave them on it does take nutrients away from the plants slowing new growth. I cut anything damaged every water change.
I have a lot of trimming to do yikes, with the flame leaf everything blends in and I noticed yesterday theres a LOT of the longer big leaves tore up like I have a plant munching machine in the tank lol, plus trimming the longer bigger leaves will promote new growth in the middle I read, I'm still new to this so learning as I go, going to trim the melt away from the crypts as well (there's not that much) about 1 on each plant.

Back
Top Bottom