Holes in sword leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some argentine swords in my 10g which houses RCS, a temporary home for a BN pleco, and a dozen Molly fry. Over the past month, I have been pulling out tiny unknown snails as i see them that must have came in with some other plants ( maybe 3-4 a week ). Anyway, this past week I noticed a sword leaf had some holes. Didn't think much of it, then a second leaf on a different plant got the same holes. It got me wondering what could be causing it. Then today, overnight, a third on yet another plant has the same holes. What could be causing this? A darn snail, the pleco, or a nutrient deficiency? I've had the plants for 3 months now, the pleco for about the same, and the RSC for about 2 months. I have root tabs by each sword, and dose with excell at each pwc for the moss and ricca i have in there as well, which are doing fine. Nothing else has changed, and all the params are good.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3657467119.jpg
    image-3657467119.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2021289663.jpg
    image-2021289663.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2079647416.jpg
    image-2079647416.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 69
You didn't say anything about your lights, fertilization regimen, etc. We'll need to know that first.

That being said, I would suspect the pleco. Maybe try giving him more veggies to gnaw on?

My bad. It's a standard t8 grow light. I mentioned the weekly dose of excell and the root tabs in the gravel near each sword. That's all I do for ferts.

I have some argentine swords in my 10g which houses RCS, a temporary home for a BN pleco, and a dozen Molly fry. Over the past month, I have been pulling out tiny unknown snails as i see them that must have came in with some other plants ( maybe 3-4 a week ). Anyway, this past week I noticed a sword leaf had some holes. Didn't think much of it, then a second leaf on a different plant got the same holes. It got me wondering what could be causing it. Then today, overnight, a third on yet another plant has the same holes. What could be causing this? A darn snail, the pleco, or a nutrient deficiency? I've had the plants for 3 months now, the pleco for about the same, and the RSC for about 2 months. I have root tabs by each sword, and dose with excell at each pwc for the moss and ricca i have in there as well, which are doing fine. Nothing else has changed, and all the params are good.

Thoughts?

Hello Super...

Snails will eat any form of algae or decaying plant or fish material. Older plant leaves will decay. If you're concerned, check your plant's lighting requirements, check the nutrients you're providing and make sure you're following a sound tank management routine. Plants need pure water conditions, so change half the water in the tank every week to maintain high mineral levels.

B

Back
Top Bottom