Holes on Starogyne Repens ( pic incl. )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks, I've noticed these holes starting to destroy my Starogyne Repens. They were growing really good, then suddenly this started to happen. The only thing I've done is add 5 Malaysian Trumpet snails to the tank, and some DIY clay root tabs ,mixed with some of the dry ferts from the PPS system I use. Is there any way to save these ?? All my water parameters are pretty good, tested them Friday night. I was using a little Metricide 14 for the last couple of weeks, but I noticed the Dwarf Sag I've been trying to get to take started melting so I backed off doing that. These were growing so good. :(
412759533.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey folks, I've noticed these holes starting to destroy my Starogyne Repens. They were growing really good, then suddenly this started to happen. The only thing I've done is add 5 Malaysian Trumpet snails to the tank, and some DIY clay root tabs ,mixed with some of the dry ferts from the PPS system I use. Is there any way to save these ?? All my water parameters are pretty good, tested them Friday night. I was using a little Metricide 14 for the last couple of weeks, but I noticed the Dwarf Sag I've been trying to get to take started melting so I backed off doing that. These were growing so good. :(
412759533.jpg
[/IMG]

How long have these been planted?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They've been in there a couple of months. These are the top clippins that are maybe 2 weeks into growth. Was thinking it might be a Potassium Deficiency ??

What lighting do you have. This looks like a co2 deficiency. I'm not sure about the snails eating them.

Carry on with the glut dosing. Sometimes when plants are obtaining new levels of co2, they have to adjust and so they lose their existing leaves to make new ones more suited to the new levels of co2. That could explain the melt you saw but the glut is definitely more beneficial to these plants.

Thanks Caliban !!
I'm running a Planted + 24/7 . It's on the high setting, but run on a timer running 3-8:30 PM........
I started back with the Glut tonight and am also switching over to EI dosing on my tanks. We'll see if that doesn't help as well.

Thanks again for your input. I'd sure like to save these little guys.

I thought getting my sons 10 gallon going with just Dwarf Sag and Star. Repens was going to be easy...it's been a royal PITA !! :O)

Thanks Caliban !!
I'm running a Planted + 24/7 . It's on the high setting, but run on a timer running 3-8:30 PM........
I started back with the Glut tonight and am also switching over to EI dosing on my tanks. We'll see if that doesn't help as well.

Thanks again for your input. I'd sure like to save these little guys.

I thought getting my sons 10 gallon going with just Dwarf Sag and Star. Repens was going to be easy...it's been a royal PITA !! :O)

Haha. Such are planted tanks.

You're welcome. EI would be good too. I'm not sure what PAR that works out at with a 24/7 over a 10 gallon. Sounds like a lot though which could definitely cause problems without co2. The alternative would be to reduce the percentage down on the 24/7 as less light means less co2 demand. I'd say for your tank that glut + lower light % + EI = success.

Start off at full intensity of you light. See if the glut cuts the mustard. If not then reduce the intensity and add the same amount of glut.

Good luck. Let us know if notice a difference. Shouldn't take long to see healthy new growth if you have the balance right.

I was just thinking about this thread the other day !!! Not so good my friend . Nothing seems to be working, they are rotting away to nothing. It's really got me puzzled because I purposely picked Star Repens and Dwarf Sag because by all accounts they are both pretty easy and tolerant. As a last ditch effort I'm going to add CO2 to this tank, which is exactly what I didn't want to do, but that's fine.........I even pulled some really nice looking S.R. out of my big tank ( one of my fish are nibbling on it at night ) dropped it in this 10 gallon, and withing two days holes are already starting to show on the leaves. I'm even thinking the substrate might be junk. When I first set it up, I put some osmocote mix with some red clay in the substrate and am wondering if that screwed something up. But all accounts say that is a GOOD thing to do......really frustrated trying to get this little tank going !

THANK YOU for posting.......Like I said I was going to re-post, but the fact that it is all bad, I figured I'd let it go.............open to any more suggestions though...........I thought this little ten gallon would be a breeze to get going !!! LOL

I was just thinking about this thread the other day !!! Not so good my friend . Nothing seems to be working, they are rotting away to nothing. It's really got me puzzled because I purposely picked Star Repens and Dwarf Sag because by all accounts they are both pretty easy and tolerant. As a last ditch effort I'm going to add CO2 to this tank, which is exactly what I didn't want to do, but that's fine.........I even pulled some really nice looking S.R. out of my big tank ( one of my fish are nibbling on it at night ) dropped it in this 10 gallon, and withing two days holes are already starting to show on the leaves. I'm even thinking the substrate might be junk. When I first set it up, I put some osmocote mix with some red clay in the substrate and am wondering if that screwed something up. But all accounts say that is a GOOD thing to do......really frustrated trying to get this little tank going !

THANK YOU for posting.......Like I said I was going to re-post, but the fact that it is all bad, I figured I'd let it go.............open to any more suggestions though...........I thought this little ten gallon would be a breeze to get going !!! LOL

Yeah definitely give the co2 a go before you call it a day on this tank. Did you carry on with the metricide14?

I did.Although I cut it back to 3 times a week. I bought a el-cheapo paintball reg. on ebay and it doesn't work.....not even worth sending it back !! My Aquatek has been pretty good after replacing the needle valve with a better one, so I'm going to buy another one of those for the ten. Just been a drag, but still learning stuff so it's not that bad. Educational ! Still not dosing any dry ferts......No noticeable difference so....why waste those you know.

I did.Although I cut it back to 3 times a week. I bought a el-cheapo paintball reg. on ebay and it doesn't work.....not even worth sending it back !! My Aquatek has been pretty good after replacing the needle valve with a better one, so I'm going to buy another one of those for the ten. Just been a drag, but still learning stuff so it's not that bad. Educational ! Still not dosing any dry ferts......No noticeable difference so....why waste those you know.

Co2 makes all the difference. Make it happen! [emoji846][emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom