HOLY CRAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I changed the water in 3 of my tanks last night, and the last one was my 20 gallon planted tank. Well, I didn't think to fill up the filters with water (even though I always do). I use an Aquaclear 150 and a Penguin mini and this morning my BF noticed that they were both running dry!!! 8O Now I know this is really bad for the filters and they will probably have a shortened lifespan because of it, but of course I am more worried about the fish in there. I didn't have any immediate casualties, thankfully, but because my BF was the one that filled them back up, I did not see whether the media had dried out or not. I do know that they were running dry for less than 12 hours, probably about 10 hours. Should I expect the tank to cycle again? I've got fish in there that I really really don't want to subject to that whole process. Has anyone else ever done this and if so, what happened? TIA :oops:

Even if you killed all the bacteria in your filters, you should still have plenty in your tank which will quickly repopulate the filters. It is possible you could have a "mini" cycle. Just check the ammonia over the next few days and change the water as needed. I doubt you will see any spikes.

Actually, I'm surprised that it lasted so long. I did this once and the sound alone brought me running. I'd say it was for about 20 mins (the game was on...geez). Since I have the 70 model and it does make an irritating noise I wonder if yours made a similiar one. It's only "whisper quiet" when running properly.

I agree that you should have plenty of nitrifying bacteria in the tank to replenish the filter media.

When I turn off a hob, only about half of the water drains out, so half of the filter stays wet and the motor is cooled. I agree with the others, maybe a mini cycle , but probably not.

Surprisingly, the filters didn't make much noise at all until this morning, and the Penguin was much louder than the AC. My house is really small, only 5 rooms (rental property here is so expensive), and I can hear all the filters all the time in the living room. I have 6 filters running on 4 tanks so they are kinda loud normally anyway.

I hope my fish are ok, they look all right so far.

Back
Top Bottom