Hood & Lighting. Please help me get of on the right foot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can get Hygro polysperma, that would be a great one to add first. It is a fast growing (weed!) but it will really help you in the "cycle". It is a noxious weed here in the US so you can't buy it anywhere, but if you can get it in the UK...by all means go for it. I actually like it even though it grows so fast. I have the regular kind and the top leaves get pinkish colored...its pretty. :) There is also Hygro polysperma "sunset" that is more of a dark pink color.

Yeah i thought it would be a good one to start with, i read in a magazine that it is ideal for quickly creating depth with cuttings and letting other's grow taller at the back.
It did also say that it is classified as a weed in some US states :lol:
I'll lookout for the sunset one aswell then, i do like Hygro Polyspemra aswell, even though it is classified as a weed. :lol:

I think i might order the light fixture over the weekend, so this satelite version should be fine? Is there any final thoughts or things i should consider?
Also i'll buy a daylight bulb aswell, should i lookout for any particular one or anything?
Thanks. :)

Satsumas said:
I have found a glass cover which seems ok, tell me what you think? there's no picture which is annoying as i would like to see what i'm buying!... http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/aquarium_hoods_trays.asp#product76

Hi there, that's exactly the sort of thing I was talking about via PM earlier on. The glass sliding cover set. It's more expensive than when I've bought it previously but then as I said to you I've only ever had glass covers added extra to custom made tanks (which cost me £2.00 per square foot of cover) or included in tank kits, so I've never had to order them separately. I personally think £11.49 is very reasonable though.
You would be able to use a luminaire in this instance.

Actinic bulbs, as someone said, are useful really for saltwater primarily. I've been considering one in a brackish puffer fish tank I run also, just because I think it will look good (no live plants because of the S.G. of the water).

I also agree with the point raised about the 'triple' approach to planted tanks: light, co2, and ferts. There is a series running in Practical Fishkeeping at the moment that's been on for about 3-4 issues so far about setting up planted tanks. I know from PMs that you've got hold of this mag, and the November issue had an article (I think December does too but I've not finished reading it yet!) on the subject. You may want to order some back issues off their website: there are extremely useful tips.

In terms of plants themselves, I know of an online retailer (Green Line Aquatic Plants -> google that for their website) who sells glosso in pots. Now, this is a carpeting plant but if you ask for my opinion I think it would help having pre-potted specimens to add in the first instance. When I attempted a glosso experiment I got the plants from an unscrupulous retailer who had literally pulled clumps of it off the stem (so no use in the first place), squashed it in a freezer bag, and then shoved it in a jiffy bag through 2nd class post (where it got battered about by the postal service). Green Line box up all plants and their packing is EXCELLENT! I strongly recommend them. With them arriving potted you may just find it a little easier to get them established in the tank than if you ordered clumps.

I really am no expert on planted tanks: there is only one thing I'm unclear on from someone else's post though which says "the smaller the tank the more light you will need", wherein I fail to see the logic. The less depth you have to your tank (i.e. height from top to bottom) the less the light has to travel through the dense medium of water to reach the substrate, so I would have thought you'd be fine with less lighting in a smaller tank than a larger one!!!

One thing to bear in mind also: if your tank is low in height you may need to examine your plant selection strategy: tall plants will grow out and create shade preventing light getting to lower level plants. I would opt for medium to small height plants, and that way they'll grow fine and you won't have anything dominating the top. This to me seems logical, but again the caveat is I am no expert on planted tanks (for me the plants are to provide a natural hiding place for my fish to reduce stress, to absorb nutrients within the water, and to assist with o2 production again for the benefit of my fish).

coldmachineUK said:
I really am no expert on planted tanks: there is only one thing I'm unclear on from someone else's post though which says "the smaller the tank the more light you will need", wherein I fail to see the logic. The less depth you have to your tank (i.e. height from top to bottom) the less the light has to travel through the dense medium of water to reach the substrate, so I would have thought you'd be fine with less lighting in a smaller tank than a larger one!!!

No worries, most people make this assumption. The problem is that plants have minimum light requirements which cause the WPG "rule" to break down severely when applied to small tanks. The WPG "rule" is a straigt line comparison between power consumption of lights and the volume of the tank. A more accurate representation would be a curved line which is steeply sloped one small tanks and gradually levels out as you get to the large tanks (which actually need less light that the WPG "rule" recommends. Some further reading which you might find interesting.

I will have to get the PFK December issue but i am still looking at the November one and reading the different articles i come accross.
I took a particular interest in the planted tank article and was a little dissapointed that i had missed the start of the tank set-up, i will go on their website right after i finish writing this! :D

I had came across Green Line Aquatic Plants before and saw that they have a very large range of plants and i was browsing for a while, i think i will order from them. They seem a good, reliable source. :)

Yes, i had thought about my plant strategy and with some plants i had been looking at to go in the background i soon realised that i would be trimming and pruning them often. Because i don't like pruning and then binning i will try to be patient and thoroughly think about the plants and placement. I think i will try some Glossostigma, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Rotala Rotundifolia and Rotala Wallichii are definate's at the moment.
I want some shaded areas for the anubias and java fern, and also i would like some shade for cories and to create a mixed tank with well li and shaded areas.
I am on the lookout for small leaved plants which should make the tank look deeper and bigger but i will include some larger leaved plants also.

Today i scraped off some of the old sealant and replaced it with some new. The old stuff had dirt in it and was a bit flakey so i thought why not replace it, now that i have the chance.

I just ordered that glass cover set from aquatics-online, £16.50 in total also i am still waiting for a reply on the luminaire which i found on e-bay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....70011593200&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
I enquired about shipping costs to the UK, hopefully that won't bump the price up too much!

Thanks for the replies. :)

sounds good Satsumas. Don't fret about the filter, most companys overrate the flows, so there is no need to worry. I am running an XP2 on my 28 gal with no problems.

seems you edited the part about the fluval 205, LOL. oh well.

Thanks, yeah i suppose they do but i do really want to do my best with this tank and get it looking as good and being as healthy as possible. Oh I may be ok then, but i think the filter may be a little too large even without exaggeration.

:lol: Yeah i decided to make a new post on it as it is a bit off-topic.

Update:

Just to fill in anyone who is interested...

Yesterday i applied some more sealent to the tank and I just scraped off the excess. It say's optimum strength of the sealent will be gained in 7 days but it say's it's ok to fill after 48 hours.

I intend to go to my LFS today but it will probably be in the week sometime to get a background.

My old internal filter is running in my established tank, how long will it take for the bacteria to build up? the filter had been running in a bucket of tank water with seeded driftwood so food would've been scarse.

Also i would like to know how well this bag of eco complete will cover my tank but i don't want to open the bag up to test it as i won't be putting water in for at least a few days. If the eco complete covered the bottom of the tank but was only an inch deep then i could get on and order another bag!

Another thing...
I want to conseal all equipment and wires that are in and around the tank.
The heater should be pretty straight forward as i will put it behind plants that will hopefully bush out in time, same with the CO2. My main concern is the filter though.
Because my tank is relatively small for the power of the output i tend to put the powerhead on the side of the tank to get a nice distribution of flow. When the inlet and output tubes are on the side's they are harder to conceal. Also if the powerhead were at the back of the tank then there would be a current to strong for plant growth.

Shall i just create a tank set-up diary? :? :wink:

Another Update:

The glass cover i ordered was too big for my tank! Someone can't read a tapemeasure at aquatics online! 36"x12" i ordered and i got a 36"x14"! Anyway i got in contact with them and they said i should have a 36"x12" arrive tommorow.

I also bought the satelite light fixture, shipping was another $62.50!
I asked them when i should be recieving it and they said there normally shipped on friday so 7-10 days, maybe longer at customs though.

Back
Top Bottom