Hood and Lighting suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys!

I have a 30 gallon set up with live plants. Currently I'm looking at some medium-high light plants and I only have an Aqueon 30" hood on it with a t8 24" 17W. From what I've read and watched this will be far from enough for some of the plants I want!

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on a good light setup that's also cost efficient?

Also, I'm not sure if it matters but would a glass top be better or worse than a usual black hood?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the size of the tank is 30"wx18"hx13"d

Hey guys!

I have a 30 gallon set up with live plants. Currently I'm looking at some medium-high light plants and I only have an Aqueon 30" hood on it with a t8 24" 17W. From what I've read and watched this will be far from enough for some of the plants I want!

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on a good light setup that's also cost efficient?

Also, I'm not sure if it matters but would a glass top be better or worse than a usual black hood?

Im going with the Finnex Planted +

Its a solid LED light that should work for most plants. It may not be enough for those picky plants that need an abundance of light.

Hey guys!

OK, here is a cost efficient setup that I would recommend. For starters a good light.
LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

I would not get a hood or a glass top. I would go with a screen top. You can do it yourself. here is the screen frame that lowes sells.

Shop New York Wire 48-in x 48-in White Screen Frame Kit at Lowes.com

and here is the netting that would fit. Basically any 1/4 inch nylon mesh will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Netting-Ideal-Custom-Aquarium/dp/B00OABXY9O

then you will need a good substrate. 2 bags should work.

http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-...405953&sr=1-1&keywords=eco+complete+substrate

OK, here is a cost efficient setup that I would recommend. For starters a good light.
LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

I would not get a hood or a glass top. I would go with a screen top. You can do it yourself. here is the screen frame that lowes sells.

Shop New York Wire 48-in x 48-in White Screen Frame Kit at Lowes.com

and here is the netting that would fit. Basically any 1/4 inch nylon mesh will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Netting-Ideal-Custom-Aquarium/dp/B00OABXY9O

then you will need a good substrate. 2 bags should work.

http://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Eco-...405953&sr=1-1&keywords=eco+complete+substrate

This is great! I think I might have to make a Mesh top!

Oh wow I never even considered mesh. That's brilliant! Thank you both for the suggestions, I'll have to take a look at the lights a bit more.

Oh wow I never even considered mesh. That's brilliant! Thank you both for the suggestions, I'll have to take a look at the lights a bit more.

The Finnex is a good light. I also hear good things about the Beamswork fixture. Whatever your budget allows.

Question about LEDs that may make any future decisions easier. How do I tell how much light they give? Some fixtures (looked at Marineland and some National Geographic ones) seem like they'd be good but reviews say their light is too low?

Question about LEDs that may make any future decisions easier. How do I tell how much light they give? Some fixtures (looked at Marineland and some National Geographic ones) seem like they'd be good but reviews say their light is too low?

This becomes more difficult nowadays. The WPG rule is a bit outdated, and doesnt factor in LED lights. You need to look at PAR. There is a thread here that may help. I agree its confusing, its not super clear to me either.

Thanks for the resource - I guess it's all counting on reviews for the most part then. Too bad most information on keeping plants still use the WPG measurement

Thanks for the resource - I guess it's all counting on reviews for the most part then. Too bad most information on keeping plants still use the WPG measurement

I agree. If youve read the "Biggest beginner mistake is..." thread, the answer is lighting. Its confusing but we gotta get it right!

Hey sorry to revive an old thread.

I apparently don't have access to any finnex products due to being in Canada and them not being able to export to Canada for some reason...unless someone knows a way?

I'm currently hoping for a planted+ or something similar but so far nothing I've found really seems to match up. Anyone with any ideas? :(

What is available where you are at? Marineland? Beamswork? Green Element? Current-USA?

you could check out website: angelfins.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom