Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MermaidGurl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I'm new to having live plants in my aquarium, so I've decided that I should try hornwort. The main reason for that is that I have a dwarf gourami who is pecking at the fake plants so I'm getting him hornwort so he can use it to make a bubble nest, and the other reason is that I have a slight algae problem, and I've read that it helps with that. I will be letting the plant float. Is there anything I need to know about this plant? Do I need to buy anything extra for it? Will it hurt any of my fish(guppy,Platy,Cory, gourami)? Thanks!

Hornwart is a pretty easy one to grow. It grows pretty fast and it will absorb a lot of nitrate. as long as it has some light it will be fine. You probably will have to trim some out at some point or it will take over your whole tank. Good luck!

Hornwart is a pretty easy one to grow. It grows pretty fast and it will absorb a lot of nitrate. as long as it has some light it will be fine. You probably will have to trim some out at some point or it will take over your whole tank. Good luck!

Thanks! Do I need to buy anything to help it grow, or is does it just do it's thing?

Thanks! Do I need to buy anything to help it grow, or is does it just do it's thing?

Hello Mer...

I float Hornwort, Pennywort, Duckweed and Brazilian water weed in my tanks. If you have a reasonable number of fish in the tank, you don't need to use supplements for these plants. The fertilizer the fish produce is enough. Just feed them a balanced diet.

B

Hello Mer...

I float Hornwort, Pennywort, Duckweed and Brazilian water weed in my tanks. If you have a reasonable number of fish in the tank, you don't need to use supplements for these plants. The fertilizer the fish produce is enough. Just feed them a balanced diet.

B

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm new to having live plants in my aquarium, so I've decided that I should try hornwort. The main reason for that is that I have a dwarf gourami who is pecking at the fake plants so I'm getting him hornwort so he can use it to make a bubble nest, and the other reason is that I have a slight algae problem, and I've read that it helps with that. I will be letting the plant float. Is there anything I need to know about this plant? Do I need to buy anything extra for it? Will it hurt any of my fish(guppy,Platy,Cory, gourami)? Thanks!

How many hours are you running your tank lights ?

Any sun hitting the tank ?

Normal lighting is 6-8 hours. I use timers.

If you keep water clean, don't overfeed and watch your lighting you shouldn't have any major Algae issues.

The more live plants the better. :)

How many hours are you running your tank lights ?

Any sun hitting the tank ?

Normal lighting is 6-8 hours. I use timers.

If you keep water clean, don't overfeed and watch your lighting you shouldn't have any major Algae issues.

The more live plants the better. :)

No, there is no sun hitting the tank.

I have the lights in for a regular day, and turn them off at night. I changed the position of the light because it was creating algae.
Thanks for the help!

Another question I have is, when I bring the plant home what do I do with it? I'm guessing I don't just add it straight into the tank.

Another question I have is, when I bring the plant home what do I do with it? I'm guessing I don't just add it straight into the tank.

That's a good question. It may depend on if the tank that has the hornwort has fish in it. There is the possibility of introducing fish borne diseases if you dump the water the plant was transported in. Hitchhikers such as snails may be present. Some folks will dip or soak new plants in a bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution for a short amount of time prior to introduction to the tank. Hopefully other will chime in with the specific details (concentration, time, etc).

That's a good question. It may depend on if the tank that has the hornwort has fish in it. There is the possibility of introducing fish borne diseases if you dump the water the plant was transported in. Hitchhikers such as snails may be present. Some folks will dip or soak new plants in a bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution for a short amount of time prior to introduction to the tank. Hopefully other will chime in with the specific details (concentration, time, etc).

The tank that I'm putting it in does have fish, and I do not want any snails! That's for sure, or diseases.

I copied this post from Rivercats regarding a hydrogen peroxide dip:

I mix a 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 3 parts water and leave new plants soak for 20-30 minutes before planting. No rinsing, just remove from solution and plant.

This is good for removing snails, snail eggs (pretty sure), and other hitchhikers.

I copied this post from Rivercats regarding a hydrogen peroxide dip:

This is good for removing snails, snail eggs (pretty sure), and other hitchhikers.

Thanks! Will the hydrogen peroxide hurt my fish though?

Not at that concentration.

Small amounts of H2O2 can be used directly in the tank to spot treat various forms of algae.

Back
Top Bottom