Hornwort...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 0 algae in my 26G with driftwood and java moss, and recently added L. repens and hornwort, and still no algae. :) I add Flourish Excel either every day or every other day, and Flourish Iron once a week, and Trace once a week. And I have 0 algae.

Now for my 75G, it's got lots, lol. Still battling, and trying to get the feel. Tomorrow I'm going to get containers so I can get my ferts lined up for proper dosing. Just been Using Flourish Phosphorus, Nitrogen, Potassium, and comprehensive up until now.

[not surprised, if I can get similar growth in low-light, high light just makes it all the more happier. I just pruned my largest one again after pruning it two weeks ago as well. What I do like is they do get the nicest little runners, which helps keep it rooted. I also have one floating as well...need to find it a home.[/quote]

What kind of runners are you speaking of? Hornwort does not grow roots.

Hornwort does not have roots, true. But they do have runners which are used to help anchor the plant. They are not true roots.

Hmm... so would I be better off just weighing the bottom of the hornwort down and letting it sit on top of the substrate, or just leave it buried how it is?

I just took the end of the hornwort that was bunched together and stuck it in the gravel. Then it just grew from there.

Are you talking about the copper-color the hornwort turns where it gets the most light? Yes, it does get a copper shade to it. That's normal. The lower the light, the deeper green it is. The brighter the light, will get a copper color to it.

Yeah I just added another small slimline fixture temporarily until I get my CF light in the mail and the very tips started turning copper. Otherwise everything is quite green.

Back
Top Bottom