Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do any of you that have hornwort plant it? I currently have a ton of it floating in several tanks but am thinking I might try planting some of it.

Good to know, I now have so much of it I think some planted will be nice. LOL, I got a bag of it for $15 and it has done 4 tanks with that one bag!!

rich311k said:
Wait till it starts to grow. :)

I completely agree.... :)

It will do just fine stuck in the gravel. That's how I have mine, and it took over half of my tank. Had a lot of pruning to do after a week, lol. But that's with a 65W CF on a 26G using Flourish Excel. My java moss is due for a trim real soon.

Edit:
I trimmed it down on Sunday to about half the depth of the tank, and here it is, Tuesday, and one strand is already on the surface, lol.

I have mine anchored into the gravel as well and it's growing completely out of control. I don't think I could keep it from reaching the surface if I trimmed it every day :) . The bottom is kind've brown, but it certainly doesn't affect the rest of the plant.

Dear God, I think it has grown some in the 3 days it has been in the tank. That can't be possible can it? 8O

Well if it is anything like anacharis, it could have doubled in size in 3 days. Mine did and I have heard hornwort will grow even faster.

hornwort is a WEED. One of those noxious plant list type of weeds. I keep a sprig in my 29gal. in case I need to grow out fry cover. I throw about 3' (ft) a week of it away. I would say with high light and no removal in about 6 weeks I could completely fill a 29gal with the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom