hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi - someone told me that hornwort shouldn't be planted - that the planted parts will die and rot. is that true ? I haven't been able to confim this. I'd like to leave it in the substrate (EcoComplete) but certainly don't want to pollute the tank ! thanks

I plant mine and yes the planted part rots but not the stem, the leafy part rots. It does fine for me. I can't speak for those who might have tried it for longer, I've had mine planted for 6 months.

thanks, that makes me feel better :) should I trim off the leaves from the bottom before I stick the stem in ? or will that only cause it to float out of the substrate ?

I had mine planted aswell but my huge cana snail ate it all, i watched him suck a whole plant down! The bad thing was i had a elastic band holding it in a bundle which he ate too, lol.

It is fine to plant or float. Good plant for consealment and very hardy, one of my favorites.

Just watch this stuff. They say you can't stop this stuff but if it ever does go wrong, you will have one of the largest meeses you have ever seen from a plant. Before I upgraded my lighting and added DIY CO2 I managed to kill a huge bunch of it and it took 3 weeks to get all the little needles out of the tank.

fish_4_all said:
Just watch this stuff. They say you can't stop this stuff but if it ever does go wrong, you will have one of the largest meeses you have ever seen from a plant. Before I upgraded my lighting and added DIY CO2 I managed to kill a huge bunch of it and it took 3 weeks to get all the little needles out of the tank.

Lol, I did a bleach dip with some hornwort once, and had the same experience you had. A lot of cleanup, I think there are still fragments in there somewhere!

I'm using it for Dwarf Puffer coverage / hiding places, so I'm hoping it takes. The little guys sure do like sleeping in it (even preferring it over the arachanis, which I hate but they supposedly love).
It appears to be doing ok so far, but this is my first seriously heavily planted tank so I'm watching the bottoms of all the plants given that there's alot of shadow down there. Wish me luck ! LOL

ps - I know about Excel melting arachanis so I'm not dosing it for obvious reasons. Someday I may pull the arachanis out and leave just the wisteria and hornwort. Any Excel vs Hornwort concerns I should have ?

Back
Top Bottom