Hornwort changing color...dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone I have had this hornwort floating around in my 10 gallon for maybe a month, the fish like it and the frog likes it and I understand it will probably lose needles on any occasion but it seems to be now changing color and dying...the parts that are closer to the surface seem normal but the parts further under are the ones of concern...

Do I need root tabs in the gravel for just having hornwort?
Do I need co2? I was thinking this might be the problem because the parts deeper under the water seem to be the parts dying but the DIY co2 pop bottle system seems like a lot of work to keep a hornwort alive which I think for now is really the only plant I want and the co2 cylinder seems like a lot of money to keep my one hornwort alive...

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Break off the older parts that are fading. Hornwort is a true floater; it never grows roots. It shouldn't need any ferts to survive, and even flourish.

Break off the older parts that are fading. Hornwort is a true floater; it never grows roots. It shouldn't need any ferts to survive, and even flourish.

Basically I would say 80% of the plant was fading so I got rid of that and kept the small piece that looks normal...maybe I had too big of a plant to begin with I am not sure...

Back
Top Bottom