Hornwort not floating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subtleplans

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just bought a bunch of hornwort but it isn't floating...it kind of half sinks. I've read it's supposed to float, so is there something wrong with mine?

The plant is pretty green and healthy looking. Right now I have it tucked loosely around my filter output (which actually looks kind of nice because it hides the output!) but I thought this was strange... I bought it because I wanted a floating plant.

...and yes I took the lead weight off! :)

See next post for a pic of the half-floating hornwort (didn't realize you could post pics on the forum). I've dislodged it from the filter output so in the pic it is free.

Hornwort is actually a type of algae. Mine does not float either and is very loosely planted in pea gravel. Takes about 2-3 weeks to notice any growth but after that grows nicely to about 8".

Mine floats, but not well. It only started to float nicely once it had ample light. I actually noticed BUBBLES inside the plant. It was limp and not hollow (with the bubbles) Its flourishing now that i have a little 10 watt standard socket PC light in there.

I'll take a close up shot when i get home on monday to see if i can show you what i mean.

If some dense part is making it sink, you should prune it off. You can weight that part down if you want and it will likely grow, but may shed under extremely low light. Dont be afraid to throw out the parts of hornwort you don't like -- you'll have more soon. ;)

Congrats on pearling, sudz :)

As you may know, oxygen is a product of photosynthesis. When the water in our aquariums reach saturation, it is common to see pockets of O2 form on leaves, and they kind of look like pearls. The great growers can get silverish looking red plants from all the pearling (credits to trebol-a). Check out Travis's webpage link in his profile sometime, as he takes great pics of his very healthy plants and is a great grower.

When plants are damaged or pruned they will often send a stream of tiny bubbles from the cut point. I do not know the nickname for this.

If your bubbles are in fact pearling, it means you're doing well. :)

HTH

sweeeet. Thats good to know! I'm going to check out the link right now!

I should be back home by about 9 EST tonight, i'll post pictures of the hornwort then (with its newfound "pearling", if that is indeed what is happening!

hope my fish are ok! I know my frog doesn't appreciate not being fed for 2 days :-(

I'm thinking i might get an auto feeder. Would it be worth it if the longest i'm away from home (without anyone feeding it) is 3 days? I have some of those white seashell autofeeders, but they make a mess of the water.

Ttyl

The hornwort in one of my ponds covers the ENTIRE area about one foot underneath the water and the hornwort on the bottom is still green. If you do not cut it and leave it outside (for real sunlight) it can grow in strands several feet long. So far the longest I've pulled out was 5 feet long (but then it popped in half because I was tugging on it). I've grown it in aquariums but it grows MUCH faster and is greener outside.

Back
Top Bottom