Hornwort problems. Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all me again :D.

I've been having some hornwort problem in my 10 gallon planted aquarium, the back half of it just looks like it is not really thinning out but getting darker green and then getting a brownish color and some of it black.

But the front half is a nice bright green. I'm confused. So I switched the light fixtures around and it did nothing. I have a DIY CO2 system running into my intake of my filter (1 bubble per 3 secounds.) I have two flourecent light fixture both spitting out 15watts each plus around I think anywhere from 10-10k K's. Running around 75-77 degrees. Consist of 2 GBRS, 5 red-eyed tetras, 3 neons, and 1 BN pleco. I'm just using river sand from my local river for the substrate. I also got javafern that looks alright. I'm running a Whisper 20 HOB Power Filter.

Got any ideas what is wrong? Please help.

Thank you.

Are you sticking it into the substrate? Hornwort is a true floating plant that never roots. Planting it in the substrate will result in the bottom dying off. Hornwort will get reddish under high light conditions.

Are you sticking it into the substrate? Hornwort is a true floating plant that never roots. Planting it in the substrate will result in the bottom dying off. Hornwort will get reddish under high light conditions.

Yeah I do plant it but i'm not worring about it dying off at the bottom because i new that would happen, like most of the type and stuff. I'll post a pic in a little bit.

Also it does do a thing that acts like roots, but not actually roots, so you can plant it just got to worry about the bottom dying off but still like the top is turning darker green and brownish and black.

12 minutes between posts isn't particularly patient, especially taking into account that it's a) sunday morning b) on the west coast, still early.

Don't forget there is always the possibility we don't... GASP... know the answer!

12 minutes between posts isn't particularly patient, especially taking into account that it's a) sunday morning b) on the west coast, still early.

Don't forget there is always the possibility we don't... GASP... know the answer!

Why would you even post that? Keep that stuff to yourself, i'm just impatient and wanted to know what's wrong with my plants. If you don't know the answer then don't post. Seriously keep your own thoughts to yourself if you don't have anything nice to say. I'm sorry i'm impatient i'm just a terrible person, and i'm sorry i'm a morning person. Get off my back.

There really is no need to get grumpy...

My only theory would be that perhaps your nutrient levels are off or perhaps the older leaves turn darker.

I think your pics confirm Bill D's points and his sound advice. Also Hornwort shed in warm water for me, even when floating, and looked a little like that before hand. If you like a really fast grower you can trim a lot, how about Cabomba?

I think your pics confirm Bill D's points and his sound advice. Also Hornwort shed in warm water for me, even when floating, and looked a little like that before hand. If you like a really fast grower you can trim a lot, how about Cabomba?

Well I don't exactly have any money so thats why I wanted to just try to figure out whats wrong with what I have.

So what do you suggest I do?

Float it and trim a bunch off after it recovers and see if maybe someone wants to trade your trims for an Anacharis, Cabomba, or other lower light plant :) Have you turned your temp up for your new Rams? If so, I would suggest ditching the Hornwort. Maybe spread out some Java moss when you can for a similar (in an odd way -- maybe just in my head) look.

Float it and trim a bunch off after it recovers and see if maybe someone wants to trade your trims for an Anacharis, Cabomba, or other lower light plant :) Have you turned your temp up for your new Rams? If so, I would suggest ditching the Hornwort. Maybe spread out some Java moss when you can for a similar (in an odd way -- maybe just in my head) look.

I've had to raise my temps alot because one of the rams got ich, but it's almost gone so i will be lowering it back. I wouldn't mind trading off the hornwort but I don't know who actually wants hornwort and I don't know how to ship that kind of stuff. Only know how to buy it (haha).

So just trim off the bad and float the good until it is looking better? You think lowering the temp back down will help it do better?

Back
Top Bottom