Hornwort should come with a warning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
LOL this stuff grows FAST!!!!! I had no idea, I've had it in the 75 for 2 weeks and have had to prune it twice. I think I shouldn't have fertilized it 8O. I have it in 6 tanks now and the next pruning is going to the relatives in their tanks, thank goodness I have several relatives with tanks! No more ferts for the hornwort. :roll:

LOL, Never fertalize Hornwort, LOL. Yes, it does grow fast. I just pruned my 26G again. I prune once every 4 days or so, lol.

How's this for a warning:

"Warning, purchase of this product will induce more work than you may want to do. If you are lazy, avoid at all costs..." LOL

A while back, I recieved two clippings from Rich. After three months, I think I stocked a number of member tanks with the clippings from them. I always send a disclaimer:

"The enclosed plant will make every attempt to grow outside of your tank, including the dislocation of whatever hood you may have covering it. Keep a pair of sharp scissors handy. The seller assumes no responsibility for displaced aquarium equipment, decorations or livestock."

i bought some from petsmart 2 months ago and the stuff hardly grows at all. maybe they sold me some knockoff "thornwort" or something. i've never had to trim it back due to overgrowth, and i've pulled a lot of dead stuff out.

29 gallon
15w light (hood that came with tank) 12 hrs/day
no ferts
15/20 GH/KH
7.8ph

benda said:
i bought some from petsmart 2 months ago and the stuff hardly grows at all. maybe they sold me some knockoff "thornwort" or something. i've never had to trim it back due to overgrowth, and i've pulled a lot of dead stuff out.

29 gallon

no ferts
15/20 GH/KH
7.8ph

That could be why. You really don't have enough light for growing plants (less than 1wpg).

Jchillin said:
29 gallon

no ferts
15/20 GH/KH
7.8ph

That could be why. You really don't have enough light for growing plants (less than 1wpg).

Yup....absolutely. Bump that up to 2.5w/gal, and it should explode.

Just like wisteria. I got a bundle of it 2 1/2 weeks ago and have made 4 separate small bundles from the new growth clippings to populate around the tank. And that was JUST at ~2wpg. I now have a 65w CF hoodlight on (20 gallon) and can't imagine how quickly it will grow. I think I'll stick it out for another month or so and then get rid of it completely (replacing with higher light slower growers most likely). My dad is in the process of setting up a fountain on his deck and has expressed interest in some water plants, so I won't feel bad getting rid of them. I can't wait to see how they will grow when they become emersed in a few days/weeks after planting.

Ajax said:
Jchillin said:
29 gallon

no ferts
15/20 GH/KH
7.8ph

Yup....absolutely. Bump that up to 2.5w/gal, and it should explode.

I was able to grow hornwort succesfully in a 29ga with the stock 17W flourescent bulb. I gave a small amount of liquid fert each week.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=67481&highlight=hornwort

Back
Top Bottom