Horwort Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some hornwort in my tank. Some is planted, some is floating, both are ok for this plant as far as what I have read about it. Here's the thing....one of the floaters and one of the planted have literally become attached at the root, or the specialized leaves that grow on it as I have read in some places. The roots are twisted aeound each other....I gently tried to unwind them, but they seem to be in love and aren't budging. Do you think this will inhibit their growth, or hurt them otherwise?

The way hornwort grows in my tank, I'm guessing there is little you can do to inhibit its growth. I started out with one bunch and have to prune it at least once a week. I think it literally grows about 3" a day! 8O

I've thrown so much of this stuff away in the three weeks that I've had it... its crazy! :wink:

Just cut them apart. They should be fine. Most plants that can grow floating don't have to worry too much about taking damage.

Question about hornwort: I bought a little bunch about a week ago and it started going brown so I changed up my lighting and it started shooting up. The top ended up getting really thick and green so I pruned it off and planted it in my roommates tank....Now, his looks really good any mine is really skinny and sick looking. It is still growing but I was just wondering if I should cut it off really low and let it "start over" to get rid of the brown stuff that was hurt from not enough light. Good idea?

When I planted mine, it kinda went into shock for a while & got brown too. Once it recovered, the new shoots are at the tips & nice & green. So what I did was cut off all the yucky parts at the >bottom< and kept the tops, and the plant had been doing great since.

My rational is that since hornwort is a stem plant and have no real roots per se, it shouldn't be treated like a rooted plant. In a rooted houseplant, you want to prune off the excess/weak growth and let the roots "start over". But with a stem plant, pruning off the tops will just get rid of the good parts and leave the weak stems, not what you want.

As you can see from your experiment, the new top is doing much better than the old growth bottom!

IMO The quickest way to rejuvinate your hornwort is to switch yours with your roommate's .... maybe when he's not looking ... :D

Seriously, hornwort grows more or less like weeds (mine double in size ever few days), you can just pick some nice looking stems from the healthy bunch & start over that way. Pretty soon you'll have more than you ever need!

Heya Jasoong,

Would the same logic apply to a massive Wisteria I have growing? Its so big I wouldn't mind kind of starting it over. What do ya think ? Thanx in advance...Betowess

BTW, nice logic on hornwort quick-change artistry, Jsoong :twisted:. Remind me to never play poker with you! :p

Thanks, Corvuscorax for confirming what I've been doing. I really didn't have much experience with underwater plants & was using what I know with land plants, and just reporting my experience.

When I propagate land plants, I either go for the nicest root, or I use the youngest, non-woody tips for propagation. So I figure that if there is no roots, just go for the tops.

Happy to know that others agree with me!

Back
Top Bottom