Hosta - aquatic plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think the internet ate my question so I'll repost. Sorry if it somehow turns up and this becomes a double.

I found some decent looking plants in Walmart last night. One included a plant that looks an awful lot like Hosta. I didn't think this could be a fully submerged plant. It was just $3 so I nabbed it along with another plant. When I was planting it in my tank, I noticed the Hosta was just a clipping, but there was a nice root system starting to develope. The leaves are much slimmer than the terrestrial version. Anyone seen this before? Can this plant be submerged? Is it really hosta?

Thanks!

rubysoho...

Any chance of a picture? There are some Cryptocoryne species that superficially resemble some of the Hosta varieties so you may indeed have an aquatic plant.

While Hosta itself is a moisture-loving, low-light plant...I have heard of very few reports of it growing submerged and even those reports don't mention how well it does in the long run.

-Joe

hmmm... well, I won't have access to a digi camera for a while and I couldn't find anything similar on the net... would this drawing I made in paint help? The stalk is very thick, just like my picture. The colors are pretty accurate... the leaves are a bit longer than the picture and there are more of them, but they do not have long stems connecting to the stalk.

img_522757_0_777ba3516eafc9717d63000d2e1c34c8.jpg

It seems to have a white border, am I right? Those plants are most times not aquarium plants and will slowly decay in the tank. Sometimes it's not even sure if they might release some toxins into the water :cry: .

good idea :) lately I've collected a bunch of plants for whatever reason... my apartment is starting to look like a garden :D (it didn't help that my school's homecoming theme was "aloha" and my club bought a bunch of plants for our float... guess where all of them ended up!)

Back
Top Bottom