house plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wallygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen some house plants that were 'planted' in an aquarium - plant was outside of tank but roots were allowed to rest underwater.
What kind of plants can you do this with and is it a bad idea? Will these plants be beneficial to the tank/fish? Currently the only live plant I have in the tank is a moss ball.

Can you use water from tank to water house plants or even outdoor plants? I have often thought when I am doing a water change that I should really use the water for my plants rather than just dumping it all down the drain.
Anyone know if this is a good idea or not?

as to planting non-aquatic into the tank i cant really say what is safe or not.

by all means use the removed tank water to water house plants and outdoor plants. it is actually better to use than just tap water since the fish waste is like fertilizer.

Many plants like philodendrons can be rooted in water and will do well long term this way. There others that will work too, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Just make sure that the plant hasn't been sprayed with any insecticides or has any land ferts clinging to it's roots (these tend to have ammonia in them) and it should be fine.

Many people use old aquarium water from the water change to water their plants. Great for recycling and the plants love it.

Lucky bamboo also works.

I water my plants with my change water. Just make sure there is no meds or salt added.

Bamboo and mangrove are all I can think of right now. It's the only water I use on my plants. They love it!

Back
Top Bottom