Household fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't want to get slammed for asking, but I have Schultz brand Multi Cote plant food for indoor and outdoor houseplants. I was wondering if they could be used for aquarium plant fertilizer (my substrate is gravel only).

Just thought I'd ask! The flourish tabs are a little expensive.

Thanks

The problem with household fertizers (and some older aquarium ones as well) is that they contain lots of nitrogen and phospherus, both of which occur in abundance in aquariums. Too much of these elements will encourage algae.

Yes, the aquarium specific fertilzers are overpriced, but you'll be less likely to be overrun by hair algae if you stick to them. (Not that their use will make you immune.) Generally speaking, aquarium plants only require additional potassium, a little iron and possibly some trace elements (although the letter are often replenished by water changes). Lighting, filter materials and other factors come into play, so there is no one "correct" formula for every situation. Depending on your water supply, you may not need supplemental fertilizer at all if your tank is well stocked with fish, although most planted setups benefit from additional iron.

Normal terrestrial fertilizers contain ammonia and sometime pesticides, neither of which are good for fish.

aqua_chem said:
Normal terrestrial fertilizers contain ammonia and sometime pesticides, neither of which are good for fish.

The "aquarium" ferts also usually contain a form of ammonia...

Some people have had success with one of the popular fertilizer brands (the "organic" version- though I can't seem to recall the brand right now) put in gel caps and stuck in the substrate.

But all being equal- if one doesn't want to use the pricey substrates (like Ecco Complete), then the aquarium ferts are the best idea.

The "aquarium" ferts also usually contain a form of ammonia...

Some people have had success with one of the popular fertilizer brands (the "organic" version- though I can't seem to recall the brand right now) put in gel caps and stuck in the substrate.

But all being equal- if one doesn't want to use the pricey substrates (like Ecco Complete), then the aquarium ferts are the best idea.

Nitrogen found in most aquarium fertilizers is either nitrate or harmlessly complexed such that it poses no threat to fauna but is accessible to flora. Additionally, the amount of ammonia released, complexed or otherwise, is incomparable. Loose ammonia in terrestrial systems is mostly harmless, so makers of fertilizers use a lot more. Looks at osmocote.

The problem with household fertizers (and some older aquarium ones as well) is that they contain lots of nitrogen and phospherus, both of which occur in abundance in aquariums. Too much of these elements will encourage algae.

Yes, the aquarium specific fertilzers are overpriced, but you'll be less likely to be overrun by hair algae if you stick to them. (Not that their use will make you immune.) Generally speaking, aquarium plants only require additional potassium, a little iron and possibly some trace elements (although the letter are often replenished by water changes). Lighting, filter materials and other factors come into play, so there is no one "correct" formula for every situation. Depending on your water supply, you may not need supplemental fertilizer at all if your tank is well stocked with fish, although most planted setups benefit from additional iron.

Nope. Neither too much nitrogen or phosphorus cause an abundance of algae. I have a planted tank running at anywhere from 20-100 ppm nitrates and 3 phosphates...all the time. Not a speck of algae on the plants...

I'd say avoid them simply because they use a disproportionate amount of ammoniacal nitrogen which is bad for fish. Job's sticks and Osmocote + use a lesser proportion of ammoniacal nitrogen to nitrate nitrogen and thus are safer to use. On top of that they're much slower releasing and won't spike your water with ammonia and nutrients.

Ammonia in ferts is not a bad thing...Most commercial products: ADA, Pferts, Rootmedic all use at least a little ammonia in their formulas. If plant growth is good it's readily absorbed.

If you do use a fert like that I recommend osmocote+ that's what I use and it has plenty of trace along with macros. The normal osmocote doesn't really cut it.

Last edited:
Just make sure that it is burried deep enough that it's not going to be dug up on accident. Most of the horror stories I've heard involved osmocote being dug up and then leeching into the water column.

Crepe said:
Nope. Neither too much nitrogen or phosphorus cause an abundance of algae. I have a planted tank running at anywhere from 20-100 ppm nitrates and 3 phosphates...all the time. Not a speck of algae on the plants....

Interesting. Not only is that contrary to conventional wisdom and to what many aquarium fertilizer distributors say, it is contrary to my personal experience as well. (Not that any of those is necessarily reliable.)

I have seven planted tanks. Every time I have had a hair algae outbreak in any of them, I've found those levels to be up, especially phosphorus. (I usually got brush algae with too much nitrogen, although excess nitrogen hasn't been a issue with me for a long time.) The only way I've ever been able to get rid of hair algae is to get those levels down.

Do you have a secret? Or have I just had coincidental bad luck?

Back
Top Bottom