How?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello hello...

Well, my planted community tank has been up and running for nearly two months now...and all has gone pretty smoothly, Yippee.

However (and isn't there always with this hobby!?), I've started having problems with an aleged algae/bacterial bloom. It's been going on for over two weeks now and getting super annoying. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong.
At the moment I'm spending about an hour a day doing water changes, maintanence, researcing and going to the store/s. I just want a nice planted tank with a nice array of fish and (most importantly) clear water. You konw? feed every day...have the light on...get into a rythm etc...etc...

I've blocked all light from the tank for 3 days now and the water is looking a but better. But What if I want the light on!?

I think that the light I have for the tank (75L...about 20g) is too strong. It's
a twin tube HDD-600...40w, 240V50Hz/50Hz/60Hz. I think it's a flouro because it have two long tube-like lights...no bulbs.
The only plants I have are some vallis and java fern. They are growing well (especially the vallis, shooting out heaps of runners), but they are going all soft and mushy, losing their colour and willting. Is this because of too much light? not enough co2?

I have 10 fish. 4 neons (not enough I know), 3 danios, two bristlenose plecos and one cory catfish.

Please help! I just want a stable finished aquarium, it's all getting too messy.

Thanks for putting up with me and my annoying plees for help! :)
Cheers
Ry.

ps. Oh and yes, I did try getting into that other forum for info but the page was down...bummer.

Do you have green water or cloudy white water? How old is the tank? Do you have test kits?

czcz... what's the problem with the white cloudy water? I had some white cloudy water for a week or more and then it just went away. I just kept my regular water changes and that's all... but what was making the white cloudy water? I forget.

On occassion, I've had this problem and it was due to particle build up in the intake tubes. Once that was eliminated, the problem disappeared. The other causes of white cloudy water is either a bacterial or algae bloom.

Feynman, just thinking bacterial bloom and not algae bloom, and that fastfly may need to leave the tank alone instead of messing with it daily to solve the water clarity problem.

Back
Top Bottom