How can I make the middle of my tank more of a focal point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
How could I make the middle of my tank stand out more? What would you do? Here are some pictures: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402602440.342901.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402602460.635960.jpg

Clear out the middle area, keep the tall plants on the sides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Clear out the middle area, keep the tall plants on the sides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you saying that I should relocate the driftwood? I was thinking of adding some driftwood in that area to add height, and position the current driftwood upward. I was also going to put a Crinum Calamistratum in this area. Any other suggestions?

A large, tall piece could also help. I like having my plants surround an open area in the middle, though I do have a medium sized, tall piece towards the right of my middle, right next to a large sword at the back of my tank.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you saying that I should relocate the driftwood? I was thinking of adding some driftwood in that area to add height, and position the current driftwood upward. I was also going to put a Crinum Calamistratum in this area. Any other suggestions?

I was thinking if you relocated the crypts then you can move the driftwood that is at the center off to the side a bit (where the crypts are). Although it seems logical to add items to the center of the tank, it may not always be ideal to make the center of the tank the focal point. I cannot find the link for this, but in the aqua scaping world there is the "1:1.6 rule". Cannot really explain it well but in the end, the tank's focal point will not be in the center but just to the left or right of center. It has something to do with how one's eyes focus on the tank and when done properly, it has a relaxing and pleasing effect. Having a focal point dead center from what I understand causes the eyes to jump left and right to either side of the tank (as if you were watching a tennis match).

I was thinking if you relocated the crypts then you can move the driftwood that is at the center off to the side a bit (where the crypts are). Although it seems logical to add items to the center of the tank, it may not always be ideal to make the center of the tank the focal point. I cannot find the link for this, but in the aqua scaping world there is the "1:1.6 rule". Cannot really explain it well but in the end, the tank's focal point will not be in the center but just to the left or right of center. It has something to do with how one's eyes focus on the tank and when done properly, it has a relaxing and pleasing effect. Having a focal point dead center from what I understand causes the eyes to jump left and right to either side of the tank (as if you were watching a tennis match).

I could possibly avoid moving the crypts if I would move the driftwood right of center (where there is one Anubias plant that could be moved). I would then try to position the driftwood up and down, rather than flat on the substrate like it is now. I could purchase a large thick piece of driftwood and place around it, and I could put some Java Fern on this driftwood. This might be a possibility. I'm open to other possibilities/plans too

I went with larger drift wood.

img_2969731_0_b65ff952a80df15f8152bd55d0fe3dcc.jpg

I could possibly avoid moving the crypts...

Yes, I thought about that after I hit Send. The root system is elaborate and they don't like getting moved. Work around the crypts.
Personally, I would Google some Aqua scape being websites and see what YOU like the best. And then try to mimic that with your own tank.

What if I positioned the driftwood like this? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402870374.689787.jpg I took the Anubias off, and I'm going to reattach them later

Can you do a FTS of either/both DW positions. Hard to get a perspective without seeing the entire tank. Meant to send that with your previous post.

I actually positioned it this way. I think it adds more depth to my tank, and it actually gives more room for plantsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402876428.372258.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402876461.642346.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402876486.296007.jpg

Honestly, I would've went and bought a statue. I like the all natural look but I cave for those serene "Buddha" like things.

Honestly, I would've went and bought a statue. I like the all natural look but I cave for those serene "Buddha" like things.

I used to have fake driftwood (plastic) in my tank, but I was inspired by a fishkeeping magazine that talked about Amano's aquascapes. I fell in love with the idea of aquascaping my tank, and this is where my tank stands now. I think your idea would be good for an unnatural tank with Glofish and such haha

Back
Top Bottom