how can I save my anubias?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosinx

Aquarium Advice Regular
got some anubias and java Moss two days ago. I tied them onto some driftwood using thread. here are some pictures of the rhizome. I don't understand what's wrong, I dosed with seachem flourish and I heard these plants don't need too much light or Co2... please help, thanks much

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415728138581.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415728138581.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415728181747.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415728181747.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 98
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415728354358.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415728354358.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 111
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415728392759.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415728392759.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415728433603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415728433603.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 95
What is the problem? It doesn't seem to be dying

Cut the roots before you attach it to driftwood, new roots will grow and the anubia will be strongly fixed after 2-3 months

they are not dying?! thanks so much for that, I thought the browning of the rhizome meant it was dying. do you mean all the roots?

how often should I dose with seachem flourish? I also have some java Moss

Yes cut all the roots.

Follow the dosing on the bottle for Flourish.

You may also want to dose Flourish Potassium. That will help them a lot (my anubias suffered greatly when I ran out and stopped dosing it for more than a month). Or for much cheaper, order potassium sulfate, then 1.4tbsp of potassium sulfate + 500ml of water = Flourish Potassium.

okay thanks, how do these look?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415732338738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415732338738.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 94
If the rizhome feels firm, not mushy/squishy, your plant is doing fine... Some people have trouble with some anubias (rhizome starts rotting).

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Yeah they are firm. is seachem potassium absolutely necessary? since the time I got my plants they have been deteriorating, so is that because of a lack of potassium?

I trim roots as needed, but I don't cut them that short.

Some plants have to get used to new environment. Haven't had swishy Rhizomes before.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anubias are such slow growers, they don't usually need feeding as such. Which isn't to say feeding isn't good, just that it's not essential for them. Also, commercially farmed anubias are usually grown emersed.. meaning, the leaves are above water. They grow faster that way. The leaf form is slightly different in emersed growth and the new leaves growing underwater will look a bit different, They will be thinner, a bit different in shape.

So long as they have enough light, and they are not demanding of light, they usually do pretty well. If you do find signs of rot in a rhizome, snip off the bad bit with clean scissors or knife. And even a very small chunk of rhizome is capable of regenerating, though it can take months for that to happen. I've a few pieces less than an inch long that simply floated for months before finally starting to sprout, some sprouted four or five new growing points. It will be a couple of years before these wee things are any size at all, but it's interesting to watch them, slow though they are.

Back
Top Bottom