how deep should substrate be for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How deep should substrate be for a planted tank? do i need layers of different types of substrate or will gravel do?

tmdavies said:
How deep should substrate be for a planted tank? do i need layers of different types of substrate or will gravel do?

I like 2-3 inches of substrate. You can use most anything you want. I have one tank planted using Petco gravel. Two tanks with layers (bottom->top) 1" peat moss, laterite, 2" PFS (pool filter sand). They both work great, but I'm partial to the peat/PFS for new builds.

If you're dong soil, it needs to be relatively thin due to the development of a more anaerobic environment. I think many with standard substrates do what Mr. Limpet stated. Some actually create a slope in their tank and sometimes have up to 5 inches in the back that eventually tapers to something like 2 inches in the front. Some plants with extensive root systems will need deeper substrates than those without.

Back
Top Bottom