How do I get more leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been trying to grow a small Amazon sword in my 70g. It's only lighted on 1 side, 18W in about a 1' circle over the plant. (I know it's low light, but there is alot of light in the room so I thought I'd give it a shot)
The sword grows fine, now that I'm using a substrate fertilizer tab, but it will not grow additional leaves. Whenever I prune 1 leave off, another will grow as a replacement, but additional leaves will not grow on their own, so I always end up with the same total mnumber of leaves. Any suggestions?

-J

that's ez more direct light, if this plant is getting the bulk of its light from one 18w bulb I surprised it even grows new leave when you cut off old one's.

Ya, more light all around just get a cheap hood with 40 - 80w (E-bay)

good luck

the ambient room light is useless and can't be counted. Unless it sits in front of a south facing window with the curtains wide open, you can't even count sunlight.

so jubei's right...you need more light. 18watts isn't penetrating deep enough, and i know they do not make any 12" diameter fluorescents that are a good plant spectrum.
I'd say you're really lucky it's even survived.

Back
Top Bottom