How do I grow a moss wall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My son is really excited about this for his 48 inch 40 gallon. :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check youtube! I watched some amazing how to videos with easy methods on building a moss wall. Its a cool thing once its finished.

All I can say is you're going to need a lot of moss haha. I think I've seen people use hessian sort of material. I've thought about one for an imaginary nano shrimp tank to go with all the imaginary tanks in my head like the 120gal rainbow tank and the 10gal Dario Dario breeder.... :p

If you are successful please update your post. I have tried 4 times, in three different tanks and had no luck. I used plastic canvas and egg crate plastic grid. I tied, glued and then tried it sandwiched between plastic canvas. It dies every time. I was using java moss and Christmas moss. It grows fine in my tank but refuses to make a wall. I love the look of them but no luck with it myself.

I was able to grow a partial moss wall, however, it was not international. I had a mixture of java and flame moss in my tank and occasionally some small pieces would cling to the back wall. I never cleaned the back wall so maybe it provided a texture that the moss could adhere to. Anyhow, ideal conditions allowed for moss to cover about 30% of the back wall. However, it was clumpy and irregular and was getting into the filter intake and stem plants. After growing steadily for 14 months, I removed it in about 10 seconds because it was getting invasive (growing away from the wall). Yeah, I could have trimmed it but that would lead to fragments that could lead to growth in places I did not want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fresh2o, what temperature was that tank?

Fresh2o, what temperature was that tank?

I had to go check. That is when I realized that I removed and cleaned the thermometer about 3-4 months ago and never put it back. I dropped it into the HOB and let it sit for a while. It is a shade under 80 F.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I read that certain mosses need the lower 70s, and that java is more adaptable.

Back
Top Bottom