How do I know if I need more light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone
My plants are going to be shipped to me late next week. Below are my specs. For some of the plants, I am going to be right at the edge of how much light they need. If I have to, I have room to double my light by adding another Satellite LED+ but I would rather not. So how do I know if my plants are under duress and I have to?

Specs;
10g
Aquaclear 20 filter
Satellite 13w LED+
50w heater
Coralsea substrate
Driftwood and river stones
2 adjustable bubble lines

Plants to add once I can order them;
3 Lugwigia Natans "Super Red"
2 Java Fern
6 Echinodorus "Vesuvius"
2 Anubias Nana Petite
4 or 5 Banana Plants
Maybe a mat or two of java moss

Thank you
Jeff

I found the plants had slow growth and slow to take off. This was the same tank with co2 injected and modified EI ferts dosing but I swapped from LEDs back to T5HO.

The suggestions I had were to either increase light intensity or light duration (if algae not getting out of control).

I've increased light period from 7 to 8 hours. The LEDs I was running 4 to 6 hours. I also have a small light that I'm thinking of trying on one side of the tank to see if any change.

Interesting. I did not realize that increasing the light time has a similar effect as more intense lighting. Makes sense.

So how long should a 13w full spectrum LED light be on to get the approx equivalent of medium light for a 10g tank?

Also, does proximity to the lighting make a difference? In a 10g tank, the top of the plants are only going to be a few inches away from the lighting fixture.

Sorry - didn't explain that well. Most suggestions were to increase light period but I got a few suggesting to increase light intensity (only). So there may be two avenues to explore.

Red light is quickly lost by depth but small tanks I don't think this is so critical and they seem more forgiving.

Are you running any co2 or glut dosing?

I've done plants in pots (with soil) in a 6gal and had great growth with little algae using a light time of 7 to 8 hours. Glut (liquid carbon) and liquid ferts dosing.

Thanks for the advice.

The tank will have some RCS which, hopefully, will help control any algae issues.

Probably glut. Certainly not CO2

The plants you've listed should be fine without a carbon source (assuming the light source is low or low medium). Plus, shrimp can be sensitive to glut. If you are going to use it, start at a lower dose and slowly work it up over a period of time.
Are puffers to be included in the stocking of this tank? If that is the case, they may make short work of the RCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At 13w I am in the low/medium range. So that is good. I don't want to complicate things any more than I have to.

The tank is going to have Dwarf Puffers and (to start with) 1 or 2 RCS. Many people say that the Puffers won't eat the RCS and many people say they will. If they eat the 1 or 2... no biggie. Just an expensive snack and I will switch to a couple Otos for algae control. If they don't eat the RCS, I will add a few more.

I would try amano shrimp instead of RCS. Larger and possible less of a snack.
Not always good to add Otos to a newly established tank if you decide to go that route. They require a good deal of biofilm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Certainly a possibility. I have heard that in a few places now.

What about Mexican Dwarf Crayfish?

Do you mean CaribSea substrate ? Which one ?

You can get away with a lot in a 10 gallon that you can't in a larger tank because the plants are closer to the light. With LEDs it's not about the Watts it's about the PAR.

a97d406776550fabbeee20572440ff23.jpg

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-led-fixtures/satellite-freshwater-led-plus/
It looks like at 12" height you are getting a PAR of 36. I believe thats Medium light ?

My 10g tanks run a PAR of about 10 with my screw in Mini CFLs. I still grew this without CO2
ca4382ad33d5dc09d3517c350018e94a.jpg

I really like my shrimp so I would not put them in with Puffers. And I believe the puffers would probably pick at the crayfish as well but that is just my thought. I've seen video of a dwarf Puffer attacking a much larger fish. My club members tell me the only recommended tank mates are Otos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you might save a little money and only order two or three of the sword plants as if they're happy they will start sending out runners and reproducing. I had dwarf chain swords and they sent out runners constantly once I put in root tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caribsea is what I meant, yes.

My light is a Current Satellite LED+ 18" 13w. So the specs put me in a similar range to what you posted. Thanks. Under medium light, it is a good idea for me to grow the Anubias Nana Petite is a slightly shaded spot? This wasn't an issue when I was closer to low light.

I am trying to create a forest/background effect in one of the corners of the tank. I don't think 3 will do that. 6 is not going to do it either initially and it is going to grow in a bit. Worst case; I have a couple of established swords to trade. Also, importantly, the plants themselves are not expensive. The shipping is and that is the same 3 plants or 30. Haha!

It is weird that everywhere I look and ask is about 50/50 between people who say the puffers will eat/have eaten the shrimp and people who say their puffers are fine with their shrimp. That leads me to believe it depends on the individual set-up and individual puffers.

Not sure if I'm any help or not, but I had 2 dwarf puffers in a 20 gallon tank with a bunch of ghost shrimp. The shrimp ranged in size from a half inch to about an inch and a half or slightly less. It didn't matter if it was a big shrimp or not, both puffers would try and get the big guy. They killed every shrimp that they could!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That seems to be the story. Some people say they are relentless shrimp killers and some say they will leave them alone. No middle ground!

Funny thing is, dwarf puffers need 5 gal per fish, so I essentially had double the space for them AND they had snails, black worms, blood worms, and dried brine shrimp. They had such a variety of foods that it was ridiculous! With all those choices, they still were intrigued with the ghost shrimp.

There's no middle ground at all. Best of luck on your decision lol. Regardless, dwarf puffers are beyond interactive and comical.

Haha, good to know. I was wondering if food choice or space had something to do with it. I guess not!

LoL nope. Not in my case anyway. Mine may have just been a pair of immature trouble makers. Idk haha.

Me to my LPS "Can you please get me 3 Dwarf Puffers that are NOT immature trouble makers? Thanks"

Back
Top Bottom