How do I know when my planted tank is cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppingtetra30

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up my tank about 2 weeks ago, and added fish about a week ago.

This is my first planted tanked....its a heavily planted 75 gallon and there is a lot of new growth; its going really well! I started with 2 SAE, 2 Oto's, and 5 Lemon Tetra. I know when I did non-planted before I would have seen an ammonia spike by now, but Ive tested the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate 3 times now and all have read zero on all tests.

So now I'm curious, I presume the plants are consuming the ammonia, so how do I know when the tank is cycled and ready for more fish? Will it just sort of bypass the ammonia and nitrite spikes and I'll see some Nitrate's when its done?

0ppm nitrate is troubling though..how long has the tank been up and running?

sit in silence

Ok,well you've got awhile to go yet...you should see nitrite levels begin to build soon..once you have ammo&nitrites zero'd out within 24 hrs consistently you can consider the tank cycled.again test daily to see how things are going&to make sure you're fauna is safe..

sit in silence

Well, its been another week. I still have yet to see anything but zero ammonia, the Nitrites went up briefly to about 0.1-0.3 for a couple days and are back to zero, the Nitrates are at about 5ppm. Is that what I should expect from a planted cycle? Was that my "spike?"

I would think you are cycled with the nitrate reading.
Fish should be added slowly to allow bacteria to grow with the added load.

The great thing about starting a tank loaded with plants is not only do they consume the NH3/NH4, they will also have bacteria on them. You really don't have to cycle a fully planted tank as long as you just don't dump a ton of fish in there at one time.

I just cant believe how easy it is to get going! Seriously, had I known more when I first started out I never would have done anything but planted tanks. I guess there was more start up time just researching and making sure everything is set up perfectly, but now its low maintenance, the fish love it, it looks great, and Im getting tons of growth.

I wish that LFS were better with giving out information. I was always put off by how much crap they said I needed to have a planted tank...even now I talk to them about what I have and its "oh, you need to buy this C02 and these HO lights, and blah, blah blah." I'm glad all the info I need is on here...

Its even getting my wife hooked and now she wants a second tank...I had to convince her to get this one...LOL.

I was always put off by how much crap they said I needed to have a planted tank...even now I talk to them about what I have and its "oh, you need to buy this C02 and these HO lights, and blah, blah blah." I'm glad all the info I need is on here...

Keep in mind that there's a difference between a 'planted tank with fish' and a 'fish tank with plants'. The planted tank crowd tends to go crazy with C02 and lights but that may not be what you're after.

Back
Top Bottom