How do I make my tank look nicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought some plants today. I have quite a bit of an algae problem, I know. Spot algae, the worst! Anyways, my tank looks like it’s missing something. How can I make it nicer?IMG_1518918162.080823.jpg

KC
I think your tank looks good already. If it were my tank, I would add a rock formation positioned off center towards the back and a few small stones scattered randomly around. A long, thin branchy piece of driftwood would really set it off. I'm a rock guy, and really love the hardscape look.
I'll post a pic of my display tank. It's scaped only with rock and driftwood.

Attachments

• 20180119_191459.jpg
    20180119_191459.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 132
KC

I think your tank looks good already. If it were my tank, I would add a rock formation positioned off center towards the back and a few small stones scattered randomly around. A long, thin branchy piece of driftwood would really set it off. I'm a rock guy, and really love the hardscape look.

I'll post a pic of my display tank. It's scaped only with rock and driftwood.

Thank you for the advice! I’ll post a picture of the tank when I gather the materials. I’ll get some lava rock and tie moss to it as well. Also, for randomly scattered stones, are you talking about a sea glass look or gray river pebbles?

I would have the randomly scattered stones to be just smaller chunks of the lava rock. My second choice would be the river stones. I'm not a big fan of the glass stones.

I think the main issue you are having is with scale and focus. The pagoda could be the focal point, but it is nearly the same scale (size and visual weight) as the plants, and the plants are nearly the same size as each other. The pagoda is a different color than the plants (making a nice contrast), but it’s the same color as the snail, and because the snail is a different scale than everything else in the aquarium, it is stealing the focus from the pagoda. (Small things can become focal points when they contrast with other elements) Adding a couple more snails would help. Or adding some more rocks as suggested, with some of them in the same scale as the snail. They need to _look_ randomly placed, which they will if you group them together in places. Evenly scattered things don’t look random. If you add a larger element, it should probably be significantly larger (and probably darker) than the pagoda, or the two things may compete with each other visually. Moving the plants away from the pagoda would make it more of a focal point, too. Here is a decent article on composition: https://www.thoughtco.com/elements-of-composition-in-art-2577514

I think my long answer got lost somehow. The plants and pagoda are similar in size. The snail contrasts with the rest of the elements in the tank since it is the only thing of its size. The little snail is keeping the pagoda from being the focal point. Adding some rocks (as suggested) that are the same scale as the snail (in groups, not scattered evenly) would help. If you add a large rock, you should probably add more than one because unique elements either are focal points or compete with the intended focal point. And they probably should not be the same scale as the pagoda—if you want the pagoda to be the focal point, keep it as unique as possible. A search for “artistic composition” returns articles that go into detail about contrast, scale, grouping, repetition, focal point, etc.

Also, as your tank matures and your plants grow, things will get better on their own because the plants will eventually be different sizes than the pagoda and each other.

Are the plants new? If not maybe look in to some fertilizers like root tabs for the swords. I bet with the right fertilizers and the mentioned rocks It will be amazing in no time. I doesn't look bad now. Also it will take some maturing to really see how beautiful it will become.

IMG_1519099905.734561.jpg
Added some rocks and root tabs! The flourish kind. I buried them near the ozelot sword and the amazon sword too. I’ll get some anacharis to fill in some cracks in the rocks soon as well. Can’t wait to see how it looks in a couple months!

Looks better indeed.
I think it's a balance between amount of plants and hardscape. Small stones are small, In your case I'd say you still have room for a bigger hard piece, a rock or a DW. Personal preferences apply.

As for root tabs, in the long run look into DIY osmocote tabs (but those seachems might last you quite a bit)

Yes add decor like rocks / rock caves and driftwood.

The key to the best looking tanks IMO is the cascading look of shorter up front section cascading taller to wards the back. This can be done form one side to the other or corner to corner, front to back but the key IMO is having that feel of things getting larger from a front section to the back section

Back
Top Bottom