How Do I Prune Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some Star Grass (Heteranthera zosterifolia) and I wanna see it flourish like the people's tanks on google lol. But I'm afraid to prune it. I don't know if it rooted yet. I've been using the Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System, Plant substrate, Jungle Plant Tabs, and SeaChem liquid manganese and iron. It's growing some shoots but it also has alot of dead leaves and some brown stems. I'm afraid that it'll uproot if I touch it, and I don't know where I can prune it to get a good fresh start. Any tips?

Just cut it. Stargrass is pretty resiliant. Try to remove any dead matter (leaves, stems, etc) and just replant the cuttings with the original plants.

Listen to neilanh. You don't want to cut it from the bottom like grass, you want to cut it and replant the top healthy portions. Stem plants llike stargrass are best pruned by removing the top portion and discarding the lower portion (including the roots). Just jam the cut end back in the substrate so it holds and it will form new roots. Stargrass heavily feeds from the water column so there is no risk of killing the plant if you have adequate nutrients in the water.

Click on my main 20gallon tank pic to see my setup. Other than the anubias and floating plants, everything else are stem plants and the top 1/3 or so is cut and stuck back in the sand, the bottom thrown out.

Thanks guys. I feel like since I found out my actinic bulb is useless, after I replace it with a new and much more strong bulb, they will grow tall and wide. Ive been pruning the tops to start making more bushes of it so I can possibly give out for free on here to people who love stargrass and can't find it. I was very lucky to recieve the plant one day before it sold out on Aquariumplants.com lol. Apparently it's ridiculously rare?

Thanks guys. I feel like since I found out my actinic bulb is useless, after I replace it with a new and much more strong bulb, they will grow tall and wide. Ive been pruning the tops to start making more bushes of it so I can possibly give out for free on here to people who love stargrass and can't find it. I was very lucky to recieve the plant one day before it sold out on Aquariumplants.com lol. Apparently it's ridiculously rare?

Well it's useless for plants, but great for bringing out the colors of both plants and fish for viewing. I'm currently using a 6500k bulb on my tank for added light for the plants, but miss the added wow factor of the 50/50 10000k/actinic I had before.

Sorry to burst your bubble but stargrass is anything but rare. I don't know why that article An tiasg posted mentions it is? It's a very fast grower that requires very little in terms of specific care and can be grown under moderate-low light. I throw out HANDFULS of the stuff on a weekly basis. maybe I should be selling it? :)

You guys are throwing out star grass! I want some! Awesome to hear about your star grass looking good :)

Also not to derail, but you say when you prune, you cut the bottom and you can replant it? Does this work for all plants..

25368_362006026287_586326287_4272590_4414897_n.jpg

I have stem plants in there, was wondering how to prune them or does this only work with bush like plants. Like in the left corner.

Maybe we should be selling it! If My Stargrass grows to the top of my tank I'll send you some Paulie. It's looking better but still isn't shooting up. Pressurized CO2, I'm saving up for you.

Back
Top Bottom