How do you prune/propagate/trim jungle vals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The new shoots should be connected to a runner. Simply pull on the new shoot gently until you've exposed the shoot and the runner, then snip the runner to disconnect it.

If you have to remove unsightly leaves, snip them off with sharp scissors at the very base - they don't look very good when you break off part of the leaf.

TG, while it is true that leaves snipped off partway Can look unsightly, sometimes I have no choice. The leaves on my jungle val will reach the surface and just keep growing, coiling around and shading out everything. (I've had jungle val leaves close to Five Feet Long, when I let them grow unimpeded.) In this case, I will cut leaves at the water's surface, certainly with sharp scissors. It doesn't kill the entire leaf, and I get the light back in the lower reaches of the tank.

I do the same thing, CC, as I have it in a 44 breeder that is way to short for this plant, LOL! I do cut it off where it bends and starts to creep across the surface, but it looks kinda ratty on the end. Sharper scissors are probably in order. I thought mine were unusually long, but five feet long! That's as tall as I am! 8O

Jungle vals that get 5 feet high? 8O Well, there's another plant that I can cross off my wish list for my 5 gallon tanks! :lol:

PS. I did want an ozelot sword for the 5 gallon tanks, and then I saw how it took over your 90 gallon tank, corvuscorax!

I have seen photos of Vals almost 5' long. I don't know which species, but I have seen them!

I have kept small Vals. I, like most who have replied, would pull off the dead leaves as a manner of trimming.

Propagation? They propagate via runner, so the best thing to do would be to provide a good substrate with a bit of root fertilizer.

Mike

I cannot explain why they get so long in my 45. They only get 3 feet tops, outside in the pond.

When I had 80 watts over the 45, the jungle val grew really long, thats when I had the 5 footers. Nowadays, I have a 175 MH over that tank and I have not let any val grow as long as it wants to, I've been trimming. So I don't know if they would still get that long under this light, but they go to the surface real quick, and I think they would keep going if i didn't trim. Maybe I'll let 1 leaf go, see how long it gets!

Jungle vals get tall...corkscrew vals stay fairly short...more suitable for any size tank.

with vals, it's a good idea to cut the runners once there are 3 plants on the runner.
why?
this helps the original 'mother' plant recover from producing more plants, and forces the new 'daughter' plants to form better roots for better nutrient uptake. Otherwise they'll leech off the mother plant which will stunt and possibly kill it.

Malkore has a great point. Some of my corkscrew Vals were showing signs of defeciencies and slowed growth a couple of weeks ago, especially in the older (mother plants). I uprooted them all. Severed the babies. Tossed the tired ones in the compost pile and replanted. They returned to growing out of control again in no time.

I have to trim my Jungle vals so they don't shadow the entire tank. I've had them get about 4', but then I've cut them. I've never let them keep growing.

Back
Top Bottom